Extreme Need of a Holiday

Alexandra knew she would have to face Master George - one way or another.

Morning of the next day, and it had slammed into Alexandra's head that she had a Shelter for Abandoned Children and Orphans to visit. For that, she needed a holiday. At least one day of it. And she had to go to Master George.

But it was tough. Just a day before, she had been off for one and a half month. Now, what kind of a shameless person went back to the Head and say, I want another holiday, I've got an Orphanage to visit.

It was even tougher than entering the Akwandian Palace had been. Every step she took, Alexandra wanted to turn back. True, it had been five years of it - but Master George didn't scare her any less. She had thought she was no longer intimidated by him, that they had now reached some understandings and were on better terms. How untrue they were, she realized on that trip to the Arena. Kane had told her the previous night, at dinner, to never ask Master George for a holiday right on the face. He had told her how the one person who had tried to do it, had had to spend six months in the infirmary with about two hundred and six bone fractures. It was thoroughly untrue - but it sounded realistic. And she didn't want to find out for herself, so Alexandra was very sure that she was not asking for a leave on his face. A more strategic approach to it would suit. 

When she was at the edge of the Arena - where Master George was talking to some second years with, Alexandra decided it WAS a very bad idea. Master George had his cane with him. She had almost turned back when,

'Mabel! Why are you roaming around there? Come here, show these good-for-nothings how combat is done!'

'Er -' She said, weighing the pros and cons of declining the invite. Since the cons outweighed the pros, she replied with a, 'Yes sir!' At least he was in a good mood. Alexandra jogged down to him and they took out their daggers to faced each other.

I wanted a holiday, not a senior citizen to combat with!

'Slow,' Master George said, 'Let them have a good look at it,'

'Yes sir,' She nodded - her hand gripping Moira harder than ever. Even before he had counted three, jittery with tension, she swung it above and slashed. Master George parried, stepping back and ducking he thrust his dagger at her left arm. Alexandra lunged to the side, got up, twirled like a top and stopped behind her teacher, putting an arm around his chest to divert his attention and disarm him. Master George elbowed her in the bicep and broke free as Alexandra double over, massaging her arm.

Betty ... how would she look? And ... Sarah? Would they even be there?

She didn't even realize when Master George hit the blade out of her hand. The boys around her clapped lazily. Alexandra broke out of her reverie, looking at the fallen Moira. When did that happen?

'You weren't paying attention.' Master George said, 'What are you doing, Mabel?'

'Sir - could I have a day off?' And when the words were out, Alexandra covered her mouth with a hand - she had just blurted it out, like always.

'Of course!' Said the old teacher, 'Is that the only reason?'

'Yes sir,'

'Why?'

'Because - there's no other reason!' Alexandra said, what sort of a question was that?

'I asked - why the holiday?'

'Oh,' She said, picking Moira and wiping it on her thigh. 'I've got to visit the Shelter for Abandoned Children and Orphans - it was where I spent my first month of e- Idgard.' She corrected hurriedly. Alexandra had almost said of exile.