I Want to Know

Noah was right. They were drugging me, and they were drugging me heavily. From the moment, I stood—well, attempted to stand—Noah had to help me. With his one free arm under my arm, we hobbled to the door. I leaned against the wall as he checked the hallway. When it was clear, we made a break for it...by hobbling as fast as we could.

"There has...to be...cameras," I managed between breaths.

He grunted in agreement as he pushed us a little bit faster. I could barely feel my toes, and since his left side was his good side and my right side was my bad side, he kept rubbing against my burns. I bit my lip to keep my pain at bay.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Just keep going."

He focused. "They're going to find us," he told me, matter-of-fact, then dragged me down one corridor to another. "That's not the point."

"What is the point, then?"

He shoved me into the nearest room as doctors walked out. The patient in the bed stared at us, but didn't say a word. Noah smiled at her. "We just need a private place to argue."

The patient looked ready to shout for a doctor.

He took one look at me, and then hit a button on the woman's IV. She passed out in two seconds. He cringed at it, like he'd seen it happen to me a hundred times.

"Noah." I gripped his shirt. "Tell me what is going on."

"It's a long story, Sophie, but we know where the information is," he said. "Well, Lily does. She figured it out, and she'll explain how later, but for now, we need to follow this path"—he held up the face of his watch where a map appeared—"and we need to do it before they figure out you're missing from your room, and then we need to get the hell out of here before they drag you back and drug you again."

I opened my mouth to argue, to point out how impossible it was, but his hands were on my shoulders. "I'm not watching you get drugged again."

I stared at him, at the wild parts of his eyes, but managed a nod.

"Good," he breathed, taking a moment to kick my toes lightly. "Is feeling coming back yet?"

I stood on my tiptoes and swayed a bit. "I can walk better, but I'm not perfect."

"Better than me rubbing against your burns," he said, eyeing the hallway. "Ready?"

I grabbed his hand. "Let's go."

His grip tightened, and then, we were off. We ran down one hallway, sprinted down another, walked as fast as I could manage down the last one, and then hit the stairs. I held onto the railing as my toes tingled and my ankle burned, and I recalled my old pain—my constant one—as it flooded back into my veins. Noah's eyes went from me, to the watch, to the next point of the path.

An elevator.

"The chances of it opening and someone else getting in—" I started but Noah jumped inside and dragged me in with him.

"We don't have a choice," he said, but then, he cursed.

"Should I ask what's wrong?" I started, staring up the stairs, "or should I tell you we're already caught?"

Voices traveled down the stairs, footsteps echoing, but no one appeared. They might have been two floors above us, but we were in a corner with nowhere to go.

Noah frantically pressed the buttons, even kicking the wall like that would change anything. The voices started to hush, like they were listening, and my heart pounded in my ears.