Into the Darkness

Pierson was hired by Noah. Tasia was hired by Noah's father. Everyone had orders for me, and there was nothing I could do but try to make my own.

"I'm just a kid," I said, repeating myself for the hundredth time as both Pierson and Tasia questioned who I was. "I don't know why they'd want me." Or not want me, I added to myself, hoping no one would correct me, but Tasia volunteered.

"Only big Noah wants you," she said, much to my dismay, "which makes things worse. Are you sure there isn't anything you know?"

"Not anything Noah doesn't already know himself."

At this point, everyone was confused. Even Tasia believed Noah's father wanted me for Noah's or Broden's sake. Now we knew it was something else. Something deeper. Something more dangerous. And I was at the center of it.

"I don't know anything," I insisted, "but I'll be killed if I go back to Topeka."

"I know," Pierson agreed. I waited for him to say he wasn't going to send me back there, but he didn't.

Lily grabbed my hand as we marched through the forest. "Noah would never want Sophia hurt."

"We don't know what Noah would want," Pierson argued, and I stumbled. He steadied me, shooting me a frown before I looked away. "I haven't heard from him in weeks."

"When did he hire you?" Tasia asked.

"I got notice shortly after he arrived home," Pierson said through gritted teeth. "Wherever home is."

I may not have known where he was now, but I remembered Noah's childhood home, his blue bedroom, his middle school picture, his braces, the god-like statue I broke, and the picture of the ocean on the wall. It was snug in my back pocket. His watch rested in my jacket.

"Well," Tasia's voice sounded far away, "big Tomery was adamant about getting her out and to him."

"And you just accepted it without question?" Pierson asked.

"It's not my job to question my employer."

"It's your job as a human being," Pierson spat. "Transporting minors—"

"Don't talk to me like you aren't one," she interrupted, and even though Pierson opened his mouth to argue, she stopped him. "You think I don't know something's not right? I've known. I know. And I will figure it out, but you aren't making it any easier."

"I just saved your lives—"

"Actually, it sounds like Argos saved our lives—"

"Will you two shut up already?" Lily yelled. "Neither of you are getting us anywhere."

"What can I do?" I asked, barely audible among the screaming. "What can I do to make this better?"

Pierson laid a hand on my shoulder. "We'll figure this out, Sophia." He sighed. "But your first step is getting on Edmeah's side." The old woman flashed in my memory. "She's in charge here, and if she decides she kicked you out—or worse, report you—I can't stop that."

I nodded. "I'll do whatever I can."

"Apologize to her tomorrow morning." He explained how the town had a celebration every time they welcomed a newcomer. Apparently, it was rare. "Listen to the words of the people. Learn their stories. Respect them."

I searched his face, the adult tone disproportionate to his young face. "You've been here before, haven't you?"

His hand dropped from my shoulder. "I'm from here," he managed as he pulled down a tree branch. "Which is why I know of this place."

The house built in the middle of a dense field was quaint but alive. All the lights were on, and music blasted out an open window and into the darkness. Classical but screeching music.

"Where are we?" Lily asked, hesitating to move any closer, but Pierson kept marching.

"Her house."

He said her like he wasn't capable of saying her name.

We all followed after that. When we got to the front steps, Pierson didn't knock. Lily stepped up to his side. "Who's her?"

He glared at the door, his hand half raised. Lily knocked for him, and he flinched. The stereo silenced. Before Pierson could explain, the front door opened and revealed a willowy thirty-something.

She laid her hand on her hip, and her recent crochet project caught the wind. Two brown threads whipped out just as her caramel eyes trailed over Pierson. "Why am I not surprised?" Her accent was thick and musical, just like Edmeah's. They even had the same stick-straight hair; only this woman was blonde.

"Penelope." When he spoke her name, his voice took on the accent. "We need to come in."

She never looked at us. She simply rolled her eyes and went inside, leaving the front door ajar. Only Pierson took a step toward the entrance, but when he saw our hesitation, he sighed.

"It's safe," he promised. "This is my home."

"So who is she?" Lily repeated.

Pierson sighed. "My wife."