Chapter 4

I'm sitting in a field among the sheep hiding from everyone. After a couple of hours of hiding inside, Bilbo finally agreed to let me out with the promise that I would stay safe and away from men with pointed hats. Thinking back to this morning and our encounter with Gandalf; I felt conflicted. Only now, having met the grey wizard I realised that there are beings on middle earth that could possibly find out about my magic and the thought of someone knowing makes my skin crawl. For the past weeks I've been living a normal life for the first time ever and never again do i want to be another mystery.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Good morning"

The next few sentences from the stranger go way over my head as I stare at the man who greatly resembles my past mentor.  Only differences being the lack of color in his clothing and the piercing blue eyes not being hidden by half moon spectacles. Of course the staff doesn't escape my notice either,

Even Bilbo seems flustered at the end of the monologue as he tries to think of a response.

"- or is this just a morning to be good on?"

"All of them at once I suppose", he stammers out. "Can I help you?" 

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to join on an adventure"

I knew it! I knew this was too good to be true.

The pipe nearly falls out of Bilbo's mouth. "An adventure!? Well i don't think anyone on the West side of Bree would have must interest in that.-" Woohoo! Go Bilbo! " Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things they are." He walked to the mailbox next to the fence and flipped through the mail as he said this. "Makes you late for dinner." He takes a few drags of his pipe and with a quick glance and another 'Good morning' he turned his back on the man and motioned for me to come inside with him.

"To imagine that I'm being turned away by Belladonna Took's son as if I'm selling buttons at the door!"

Bilbo turned back to look at him and I followed. "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

"Well you know my name even if you don't remember I belong to it. I am Gandalf! And Gandalf means... me. "

Well, let's add dramatics to the list of similarities between Gandalf and the headmaster.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Movement of the sheep im leaning on causes me to look up from my book. I realise that I've lost track of time and its already dark. With a yelp I jump up and start running back to the smial, hopping over any obstacles without slowing. Bilbo must be going out of his mind by now. Running up the hill, instead of a worried and pacing hobbit i see a dark figure pounding on the door . I slow down and carefully open the gate just as the door opens and i get a peak in as the one at the door begins to speak. Inside I see a bunch of what I assume to be dwarfs along with Gandalf and a very frustrated looking Bilbo. I stop the door from closing and step inside drawing all eyes to me.

"Gandalf I believe your mark is faulty. It's drawing in elves and yet I lost my way twice"

"Thank heavens", the only hobbit in the room exclaims and pushes through the dwarfs to get to me. After a moment of inspecting my face looking for signs of injury or distress he straightens and addresses the room full of dwarfs who are still staring. 

"Ehem, this is Herion my charge and as such he has every right to be here." Though he tries to look stern there is a small waiver in his voice, especially as he looks at the dwarf who had entered last.

You could hear a pin drop in the silence that follows as the dwarf stares down Bilbo who is trying - and failing- to look unbothered. That is until the sound of a throat being cleared fills the room and all eyes turn to Gandalf.

"Bilbo, this here is Thorin Oakenshield the leader of the company. "

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

During the next few hours after the introduction of the Dwarf king I found myself sitting between Fili and Kili. Even though they weren't twins - actually they were more like opposites- they reminded me of Fred and George with their jokes and teasing and I enjoyed their company. Apparently the dwarfs were going on a quest to reclaim their mountain, Erebor. They had been forced out of their homes years ago by a dragon called Smaug. 

*******************

I watched as Bilbo rushed out of the room no doubt going to his room. The dwarfs slowly filtered out of the kitchen and into the room all of them looking grave. Suddenly they all looked so old and tired and a heavy silence fell over the room, that is until Thorin - who was standing leaning into the fireplace and looking deep into the flames- started to sing

Far over the misty mountains cold~

Slowly I started drifting off, feeling the warmth of the fireplace and hearing the low hum of the dwarfs singing in the background. And my dreams were filled with dragons fire and the sound of metal clashing together.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I woke up to silence and ran out my room as soon as the events of last night caught up to me, not even realising that someone must have carried me to bed. The dwarfs were already gone but I found Bilbo in the hallway just standing there holding the contract he had been given the night before and as I got closer he turned to me. 

"Herion lad, I won't agree to this without your consent but they do know how to fight and it would be much safer to take you to Rivendell this way."

I wasn't so sure about the Rivendell part but I could also see it in his eyes that he really wanted to go.

"Okay, let's go."

************************

Bilbo and Herion reached the Dwarfs just outside the border of the shire. Near the front of the group was Gandalf looking pleased, though inwardly he was somewhat worried, no doubt the elves wouldn't  be very happy with him. That would be something to ponder on later.

************************

As the issue with Bilbo's handkerchief was cleared and the company started moving again I looked back one more time, the desperate need to run in the back of my head. This seemed like a good idea at the time but now I could feel the fear creeping up and the tightening of my stomach. I wouldn't return here, I just knew it. Still, instead of begging Bilbo to go back home, I pushed those thoughts away and turned back around.

************************

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry it took so long for me to update. I've been writing this on and  off since the last chapter and at one point I even erased the whole thing and started over. It's short but I wanted to get something out for you. I also want to thank you for your comments I love reading them and I'm sorry that I haven't responded to them.

I promise that I haven't forgotten about this story and I have every intention of finishing it. I haven't been doing so well and didn't always have the energy or motivation to write. I will try to get the next chapter out sooner now that the summer holidays have started.

Thank you for all your support

~Author