Chapter 5

The rain had started falling hours ago and the light chatter had quieted down until only the sound of hooves splashing against the mud could be heard. We were all soaked down to the bone and freezing. I don't know why any of us even bothered with the cloaks, maybe they shielded us at first but slowly the water started to seep down through the material,  soaking the rest of our clothes, the weight pulling us down.

"Gandalf can't you do something about this rain?" one of the dwarves called out. "It is raining master dwarf and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. " Gandalf replied, "If you wish to change the weather you will have to find yourself another wizard."

I looked to Gandalf. I had been wondering about this for a while. At times he seemed like a great wizard, powerful beyond what we could even understand. Something that couldn't be described with something as simple as a wizard or a sorcerer. But then there are times when it seems more like he's just been given the title of wizard and the respect and awe that goes with it but doesn't really seem to fulfill the role. If I wasn't so afraid of revealing myself I could've cast a charm to rebel the water and to keep us warm and yet Gandalf had done no such thing.

 "Is he a great wizard or is he more like you?"

I don't think Bilbo is very fond of Gandalf.

***

The first month traveling with the dwarves had gone way too slow in my opinion. The only companion I'd had during this time was Bilbo. I still didn't trust Gandalf and most of the dwarves didn't trust me. Why? That I didn't know. I did get along with Kili and Fili but their uncle especially didn't seem very fond of me so I kept my distance most of the time.

We arrived to a small clearing with nothing but a small burned shack. The charred blanks of the ceiling have caved in and the stones are blackened, the walls barely standing. We set up camp here, well mostly the dwarves did with Bilbo helping here and there.

Apparently a farmer had lived here with his family and Gandalf felt that we should move on to a different place. I couldn't help but agree, it didn't feel right staying here. I wonder what happened to the family. What horrors they faced here, in their home.

Gandalf stormed off after another fight with Thorin.

"Where are you going Gandalf?"

"To seek the company of the only one here who's got any sense"

"Who's that?"

"Myself, Mr. Baggins!"

Um, excuse me? Who thought that possibly waking up a dragon was a good idea. Though riding on one wasn't very bright either. Maybe I should stop judging so much.

***

I followed Bilbo to Fili and Kili with my own bowl of stew in hand, trying not to spill as I spooned it into my mouth while walking. Not that it would make my appearance any worse, I really need a bath.

While Bilbo joined the brothers I headed straight to Myrtle, the pony that Bilbo and I had been riding. I'd sneaked a carrot to feed her. I noticed Bilbo examining some trees that had fallen over with the two bowls still in hand. 

"Well, obviously something big tore these trees down."

I kept petting Myrtle not paying attention to whatever it was that Bilbo was discussing with the twins. That is until the brothers game running past me headed to the camp with Bilbo nowhere in sight. Kili continued as Fili stopped to grab me throwing me over his shoulder and kept running.

"Hey!!"

I was ignored as the two kept running, eventually bursting through the treeline into the clearing and Kili shouted