Aloof

Crystal

I coughed hard to expel the remnants of saline water from my body, bringing my attention to the mild ache brewing in my belly. I thought I was done for when my body smashed into the thick layer of oceanic water. My drenched body shrouded with goosebumps thinking what could have happened with me had Alex not stepped in and rescued me.

I didn't need to ask him if he was my savior as his dripping wet clothes told me all too well. Water pooled around him as he was standing in front of me. Gauging my reaction. Not to mention his features were as hard as ever. Not giving away anything. I wanted to thank him but he left without uttering a single word, leaving me to my own devices. 

I rose to my feet and pulled his leather jacket closer to my body. The cloth was doing little against the cold wind blowing around but his minty scent emanating from it was easing my nerves. The sky had turned pitch as the sun had fallen down. I padded back to the spot where Alex and Aldrich were. Alex was standing aloof in the farthest corner. Aldrich gave me a soft smile when he saw me approaching whereas Alex simply avoided me. The ringlets of smoke that billowed around him divulged that he was smoking. His clothes were still wet. But he wasn't shivering in cold like me. 

I was conflicted between walking over to him and thank him for what he did for me or letting him enjoy his moment of peace. Reluctantly, I chose the latter and marched ver to Aldrich. 

"You alright?" he asked me. Guilt visible in his eyes.

I nodded and flashed him a genuine smile. That seemed to have done the trick as relief crossed his features. "We will reach the shore in ten minutes," he said. I didn't respond but instead stole a glance at Alex who was still standing by himself, smoking the cigarette. His loneliness was nipping at my heart. The air around him felt electrical and magnetizing. My lungs craved the air that touched him. 

I tamped down my urge and ripped my gaze away from him. My eyes swept over the expanse of the sea we were sailing on. It looked magnificent. The stars sparkling up above in the sky had made the scenery had added to its beauty tenfold. Despite the cold gushes of wind hitting me repeatedly, I felt warmth seeping through me. 

Ten minutes later we were back on the shore. Alex followed us out. It was time to call it a day. Aldrich took his leave with a promise of meeting us tomorrow, whereas, Alex remained busy talking to someone over the phone. His voice sounded harsher and annoyed. I blame it on the icy wind swooshing around us.

The beach didn't have no dwellers except for us.

"Lets's go," he walked up to me and said those words without looking me in the eye. I wanted to see his eyes. His mysterious grey orbs.  

I followed him to a car awaiting us on the road. He dived into the driver seat and I settled upon the seat next to him. My body relaxed in relief when he turned on the heater. A thick silence fell over the air once again. But I needed to penetrate it. I needed to get to him. Something in him was calling out to me. Imploring me to unravel the mystery known as Alexander Knight. 

I cleared my throat before forcing words out of my mouth. 

"I don't know how to thank you for rescuing me..." 

"Don't," he cut me short coldly. His icy tone brooked no argument. I blinked at him in confusion and a little hurt. I was extending an olive branch to him even after being almost strangulated twice by him. And that was how he responded.      

I clenched my jaw and leaned back on my seat, staring forward. Alex was a tough nut to crack. Now that we were not going to divorce anytime sooner, I needed to get through his hard shell to see the real him. From what I had observed about him in the last two days was that there was more to Alex than what met the eyes. 

My hands involuntarily reached up to adjust his jacket around me that I was wearing. I had started to feel warm since the heater was on. The silence in the air was far heavier than any word could ever be. My silence was denoting my annoyance at his cold behavior. His silence denoted something I was yet to figure out. And to figure out is what I was going to do.

I stifled a yawn when we entered our room. Alex turned on the lights and the first thing my eyes fell upon was the bed that looked so tempting. I wanted to sleep in that bed. Another yawn erupted from my mouth at the thought. Sleep had started to take over my senses. I hadn't even eaten after lunch but that was the least of my concern. Right now, all I wanted was a pillow and a mattress to sleep on. Alex was in the bathroom so I started changing my dress in my room as I didn't know how long would he take to come out. 

I peeled my white dress off me and unhooked my slightly damped bra. A pure bliss consumed me when I took off that restraining bra. I didn't take off my panties though. Just when I was about to reach down for the towel the door to the bathroom clicked open. My hand froze and my mind joined the club shortly after. before I could think of anything, the door flew open, and stepped out Alex, holding a towel in one hand. He had hardly taken a step when his attention turned towards me. 

My eyes widened like a saucer when his orbs found me, making him stop dead in his tracks. For crying out loud I only had my panties on. My mind had officially fled and my heart was beating like there is no tomorrow. I took note of his eyes that trailed up my body. From my bare legs, hips, waist, to uncovered boobs. All out on display for him. I noticed how his gaze lingered a little longer on my firm tits and then on the butterfly tattoo which I had got right above my left breast, making his adam's apple bob up and down before sweeping up to hold my embarrassed gaze. I was dying of embarrassment. My whole damn body was blushing. 

But all my thoughts flew out of the door when I met his fiery orbs. His dilated pupils and parted lips sent a shiver down my spine. I wanted him to avert his gaze but he didn't. If only he knew how his heated gaze was incinerating my skin. How his piercing eyes were stoking a fire inside me. Alex's eyes once again dropped to my chest. I saw desire burning in his eyes. Then he unconsciously flicked his tongue out and wet his lip while ravishing my chest with his blazing orbs as if he was thirsty for years. And that was what sent my heart racing. He was openly gawking at my assets but surprisingly, I didn't feel offended. In fact, I felt a tingling sensation wherever his eyes rested on me. 

My trance shattered and nervousness set in when he took a step towards me. My whole body had turned crimson with shame and nervousness. I grabbed the towel and immediately wrapped it around me. He was still glued to his spot. The dent between his brows told me that he didn't' like my act of veiling my body from his hungry gaze. The thought tickled my heart.

I wanted him to leave but I couldn't undesratnd how to say it. That was an awkward situation. But luckily, he got my unspoken words and stormed back into the bathroom, allowing me time to change my clothes. I released a breath that I didn't even know I was holding as soon as he disappeared from my sight. What the hell just happened. 

I hastily leaped into my nightdress and lied down on the couch. My heart was still throbbing fiercely and my pale skin was still tainted red. My whole face had turned hot as a smile dangled over my lips. I liked the way he reacted. It made my heart giddy.

Another click sound came after twenty minutes when Alex opened the bathroom door. I had to clasp my hand against my mouth to control the laughter that was threatening to spill out. He stayed holed up in the bathroom for twenty minutes just to be sure.

Served him right.