Chapter 2

In a secluded forest clearing stood two shadowy figures illuminated by the white light of a glowing crystal orb. A reverberating melody, sweet and clear, began to sound. The light brightened and danced to its rhythm until both figures had to shield their eyes against its brilliance. Eventually it faded, but enough light remained to see through the darkness.

I squinted but kept my gaze on the mirror, straining to make out the details of their faces. One thing I could tell for certain: the taller of the two, the man, had attacked that girl with electricity like lightning. He'd reassembled shattered glass with a wave of his hand to keep her from escaping him. Or, maybe it hadn't happened yet.

"Everything's ready. Now we can begin," the woman said, holding the silver crystal in the palm of her hand. It warmed to her touch, the first sensation she'd experienced in an eternity. She had succeeded. A laugh of pure joy escaped her lips. Tonight they would end their banishment and return home.

Stunned, I stepped back from the mirror. How could I know this woman's thoughts, sense her emotions? Shock almost made me lose my connection to the scene, but I held on. I had to watch what would happen next.

The man waved his hand over the crystal, an elegant gesture that attracted my attention. His ice blue eyes glittered, electric in their intensity. "Good," he said. "I wanted to begin this an hour ago."

Those eyes — I recognized them. Some distant memory sparked, a memory of tears and wanting to hide. My mind refused to give any other details. I shook my head. Impossible. Where would I have met this man before?

"The preparations take time," the woman replied, taking a deliberate step toward him. Leaves and twigs crunched beneath her feet, and she relished the sound. "They're out there waiting for us. Do you doubt me or my abilities?" Defiance laced her words as she met his gaze.

"Doubt you, Aedalina? Never. I'm rather impressed that you summoned all those earthbound spirits so quickly."

Aedalina gave him an appraising glance, assessing his motives for the flattery. Most likely, to put her off guard — a calculated risk on his part, and one that would not pay off. She was not so easily dominated. A whirlwind of emotions coursed through her — irritation, amusement, anticipation — all too overwhelming and new after being trapped so long in that hazy nothingness.

"I was not aiming to impress. The spell merely drew them here like it was supposed to. They're awaiting their freedom, the fools! Still, I cannot blame them; they have no idea what is in store for them."

"They should be grateful for the time they were given. To roam the earth wherever they pleased while in spirit form is more than most ever receive."

"Hmm...you don't believe there is anything more beyond, do you?" Aedalina shook her head in wonder. A gentle breeze stirred, rustling the branches above. When it quieted, she could make out the sounds of the surf far below, crashing against the nearby cliff.

"I have yet to decide what I believe, but for them, there is not."

"You say that with such confidence. As familiar as I am with the workings of this spell and the Soul crystal, I cannot say they have no chance of continued existence. No matter. Since you're so impatient to get started, go retrieve the one we are looking for, now that you've found her. How ironic that she will be the one to

complete the final ritual! You're absolutely certain it's her? There's no room for mistakes, or we'll be discovered."

My heart constricted. So they did plan to take someone tonight. If they would give me a clue about their intended victim, I might have a chance to stop it. Unfortunately, the sound chose that moment to fade in and out like static. Keeping the connection going was draining me. What did the man say?

"Yes, yes, I'm certain. I know what's at stake. The girl looks just as the lost MirrorMaster would, assuming she takes after her father. And she knows her true heritage. She confessed that to her human father once, during one of her weekly visits. Such a tragic sight, watching her kneel in front of his grave crying her poor eyes out while telling all the pitiful details of her life. Maybe she will welcome the ritual if she thinks it will reunite them. At least I could have a little fun and persuade her to believe she feels that way." A smirk played across his aristocratic features, sharpening the refined curve of his brows, his thin lips and aquiline nose into sinister angles, and he placed a hand over his heart in mock concern.

Aedalina quirked an eyebrow, torn between amusement and exasperation. "You and your fun."

"If we had not been waiting so long to do this, I'd much rather have fun with you now that we can," he replied, giving her a teasing smirk. He circled Aedalina, his eyes never straying from her. Standing in front of her once more, he toyed with a strand of her hair.

"So soft. I wonder if your lips are still as soft..." He reached his hand behind her neck and pulled her to him, capturing her lips in a voracious kiss filled with more than a decade full of desire.

The crush of his body against hers took her by surprise, and she found herself unable to resist melting into him. His familiar scent of sandalwood aftershave, heady and alluring, reached her nostrils.

"Erik," she murmured, dazed and clinging to him for support.

He smirked once more, pleased by her reaction.

That snapped her back to her senses. Eyes smoldering with fury, she shoved him away. She longed to slap him but didn't dare and lowered her outstretched hand. Her every instinct screamed at her to step farther away from him, but she refused to yield her ground. It irked her that he had already managed to beguile her. Clearly, she could not afford to trust him, and she still could not trust herself around him.

"It's back to the task at hand, is it?" he asked with a shrug, his tone cold. "Fine, then. We'd better go collect her while we still can."

"I should rejoin the others and keep them from getting too restless. Surely only one of us is needed for the task, as the girl will not prove too much of a challenge. I'll be waiting for you in the cemetery when you've retrieved her."

*******

Author Note: A huge thank you to my new followers, @JoeTilson, @JamesMarion6, @NenoMark, @EthanBeckim, @pricnefazza, @Raym2021, and @maeralexarin! If you enjoy this new chapter of Leah's journey, please take a moment to show your support. Vote, leave a review, and/or share! Thank you so, so much to @holycrapnuggets for your awesome comment and vote on Chapter 1, and for adding it to your reading list! It made my day! Thanks, @maeralexarin, again for the follow, adding the story to your reading list, and for your vote on Chapter1! <3