Since I don't have You

It was night before the Egg Festival and Adella was tasked on painting the eggs for annual egg hunt. Normally, Emily is in charge of painting the eggs but this year Gus needed an extra hand in preparing the food for the whole town. Plus the farmer didn't mind painting them, it was actually even better than participating the egg hunt. Painting a few dozen eggs was no small feat but luckily Harvey stopped by to lend a hand that night.

"Darling, are you sure I'm doing this right?" The doctor stated puzzled looking to his partner for inspiration, "Mine don't look as nice as yours."

"Yes I'm sure," she reassured him placing the finished eggs in the fridge, "And you're doing a fabulous job, honey." Adella smiled kissing his cheek.

Harvey smiled sheepishly as he continues to color them. His face light up sparking up an idea. "I think this year we should the kids decorate their own eggs for the festival."

"Are you just saying that so you can get out of painting?" The farmer inquired.

"Oh no! I like decorating eggs with you!" He protested, "I only suggested it because I used to paint eggs around this time when I was younger and I thought the kids would like it as well."

"Hmm... it's not a bad idea," Adella pondered, "Why don't you bring it up to Mayor Lewis and maybe he'll add it to the activities for next year?"

"You know what? I'm going to do exactly that!" Harvey beamed confidently, "Thank you so much for the idea, my dear. You are the best!" He grinned cupping her face and kissing her happily.

She kisses back giggling and holds onto his wrists, "You're welcome, honey. C'mon we better finish these before tomorrow."

"Alright," he agreed returning to his work, "Hopefully tomorrow we have a few spare eggs because what's an Egg Festival morning without a nutritious omelet."

"Now that sounds heavenly."

-<~***~>-

The next day, the couple hauls the several dozens of eggs to the town square. A few people were setting up the pastel colored decorations and Lewis was overseeing the process. The pair walk over to him and the mayor noticed with a smile.

"Ah, farmer Adella and Dr. Harvey! Thank you so much for coming through with the eggs on such short notice." Lewis thanked them.

"It was no problem at all really," Adella smiled, "It was actually a lot of fun."

"I'm delighted to hear that," Lewis grinned, "Now I need a little help setting up the egg hunt then we'll be right schedule."

"I'll be more than happy to assist you with that, if in return you can hear me out for an idea for the festival." Harvey bargained.

"Well I guess I can't say no," Lewis accepted the offer, "Let's talk while we set up."

"Great! Thank you." He smiled grabbing a few cartons of eggs before walking away with the mayor. Harvey looked back at Adella giving her a thumbs up and an excited grin.

She smiled back happily for him and glanced around hoping to find something to do. Someone shouted for her snapping her focus to that direction.

"Hey farm girl!" Alex shouted carrying foldable tables and chairs out of the saloon, "Strong enough to carry some of these?"

"Enough to keep up with you, probably." Adella quipped walking over to the stacks of tables and chairs.

Everyone pitched in to help set up everything for the Egg Festival. It's so wholesome to not only witness the town unite together at one of these gatherings but also combine talents to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone in attendance.

Adella made a few purchases at Pierre's stands once he finished getting set up. She hung out by there till her best friend walked up to the stand.

"Hey there farmer," Shane greeted swinging his arm over her shoulder, "I just wanted to say that the eggs you painted look amazing."

"Thanks, but I really should be thanking you since you guys provided all the eggs." She praised him as they stride to the buffet table.

"It's no biggie," he shrugged coolly, "But after this is over our chickens deserve a big bowl of sweet corn." He smiled proudly.

Adella grinned agreeing with Shane then turned her attention over to Harvey walking over, "Hey babe, did you finish hiding all the eggs?" She could sense a weight disappear off her shoulder.

"Yes we did, and he agreed to add egg decorating to next year's activity schedule!" Harvey sang happily.

"That's wonderful, dear!" She grinned holding his hands and leaned up to give him a quick kiss.

"Congrats," Shane sang unenthusiastically, "We're probably gonna need a lot more eggs for that."

"I can always contribute my eggs to the festival. It doesn't have to be just you guys providing all them." Adella insisted.

"Yeah, I guess that's true," he nodded, "Plus I think Jas would like it better than the egg hunt to be honest."

"It's doesn't have to be solely for kids," Harvey mentions, "Adults can do it too."

"I can definitely see Emily doing it." Shane points out rubbing his chin, "You know what? I'm warming up to the idea. Good thinking, doc." He nods liking it more before catching up with Jas.

Harvey grinned feeling proud of himself. He turned to Adella taking her hand heading over to the buffet table, "It's nice to come up with a good idea every now and then."

"Oh yeah? When was the last time you came up with one?" She ask making herself a cup

"When I asked you to be my girlfriend." He answered with a light blush filling his cheeks

She bashfully smiles feeling her face heat up, "You are so cheesy sometimes, I can't help but love it."

Before the egg hunt began, Shane sat down on a bench treating himself to a cup of fruit punch as he watched the farmer and the doctor. He turned more into the green-eyed monster as he looked on seeing them display public acts of affection. He was so fixated on them he didn't realize Emily sat down next to him.

"Are you alright? You seem like you want to rip someone's head off." She queried.

"I'm fine Emily, really." Shane stressed taking a sip of his punch, "I just wanna be left alone."

Emily followed his line of sight to draw a better picture of his anger. From his energy, he didn't need a therapy session with them being an ear shot away from them.

"Alright then, just try to enjoy yourself, okay? And if you ever need to talk about something my door is always open." She offered with a soft smile.

"Thank you," he nodded, "I truly appreciate it." He half-smiled sincerely.

Emily grinned and rubbed his arm in assurance, "C'mon the egg hunt it about to begin. We go cheer on Jas."

-<~***~>-

-*Author's Note: Hello everyone! It's just your friendly neighborhood writer here with a few updates. I appreciate all love and support with these works and I'm trying to upload chapters on a semi-regular basis. Honestly, I'm making content up as I go along while keeping this story entertaining you guys. As always, suggestions for future installments are welcomed and worthy of a shout out :).*-