Chapter 26 I could freeze this moment

Reena's arrest created a commotion in the city. As she was a celebrity, the media started live coverage. Anu became restless every second, and she waited for Dev on the porch.

"Mam, please get inside; Sir has given the order. The media may come." The guards advised Anu. When they were talking, Dev's car entered. Without knowing herself, she rushed and hugged Dev tightly, who just opened his car door. He stumbled a bit.

"It's okay, I am here," he was gently patting her back. He was happy to see a person waiting for him to arrive safely.

Anu opened her mouth to ask something. But Dev shushed her.

"Anu, I am hungry, dear, first let us eat, then we can talk about those stupid fellows."

Anu facepalmed herself, "I'm sure you're hungry." Let's eat."

After dinner, Dev explained everything to Anu. Earlier that day, police had arrested that gang behind the fire accident. When they checked their call history, many were without caller id. But when they traced some numbers, one was Reena's. Then only they arrested her. It was clear that Reena itself doesn't know who is behind. After a serious enquiry, Reena revealed that someone contacted her and promised her to defame Dev. After that press meet given by her, Dev destroyed her reputation and blocked all her social accounts. She became mad and was figuring out the ways to destroy Dev. At that instant, some stranger called her over the phone and asked her for support in their mission. But she doesn't know anything about the stranger. The only thing she did was leaving a hidden voice recorder in Dev's cabin. The people behind her wanted to know about Dev's schedule so that they can attack him. As per his original schedule, he was supposed to visit the warehouse for a quality check. Two days back, Reena barged inside Dev's office uninformed. Dev was furious at her presence. She substantiated herself by saying that she came to ask for an apology. Dev shouted at her, and after few minutes, she left the building. From that moment, Dev's conversation was all monitored. Luckily, Dev changed his plans last minute that day and came home to have lunch with Anu.

Anu was not happy with the news. She got scared by the fact that the main culprit is still not in the picture. Like sensing her anxiety, Dev came and sat in front of her. Holding her hands, he said word by word.

"Anu, whatever happens, I will come back to you. Even if you beat me to death, I will be at your feet. Back then, I was blind enough to treasure your value. Now, I realize that I can't live without you. When I came to know about that gang and Reena's arrest, I was not myself anymore. My only thought was to reach home and protect you. Don't worry; you have to tolerate me in this life."

Anu smiled in between her tears. His words reflect his untold love for her. Though he didn't express it, she can sense that in every action of him. She was in happy tears.

"What are you doing to me, Anu. I was not like this. I never talked these many words with anyone? You're changing me, you know," he pouted.

"You look cute." She pinched his cheeks.

"Hey, how many times I can tell you, don't call me that. Call me Handsome, Darling or something romantic."

"What "that" ? are you telling that "cute" word," she stressed.

Sometimes, Anu would become mischievous. She used to pull legs to annoy people. This habit she learnt from her brother Arjun.

"You.." he started chasing her. Both were running here and there. Finally, Dev caught hold of her and made her sit on his lap. He rested his head on the crook of her neck and whispered.

"I wish I could freeze this moment."

His sudden intimacy sent shivers down her spine. Suddenly, Dev became emotional and spoke.

"Whatever happens in the future, Anu, don't underestimate yourself. I won't always be there for you; you must be courageous to confront this complex world."

After that, he started saying details about his assets and bank accounts and all. Though Dev pretends to be strong, he himself not certain about the problem. He was never scared about his enemies, but things changed. He started to think about the downside, and his worst nightmare was leaving Anu alone. Anu was confused for a moment. Later, she figured out what he was trying to do. She rested her head on his shoulder and said with a chuckle,

"Trust me; nothing will happen to you. As you said, you have to tolerate me in this birth."

"I love to, But I am just preparing yourself for any worst condition."

"Dev, can you stop talking rubbish." She kept an angry face.

"You know, you can't even pretend like you are angry. How lucky I am to have you?" He confessed.

"I am also like to have you, "Cute boy," she pulled his cheeks and ran like a flash.

Only their laughter filled the room. After a long time, Dev was at his own. The day he took charge of his family business, he turned into a heartless, cold person. He is enjoying this new feeling, and he doesn't want to rush things with Anu, as he is new to this aspect of life. Anu was changing him gradually. Both cuddled in the bed and had a good sleep after a long time.

After the sequence of incidents, Dev became very alert when it comes to Anu. He himself dropped and picked her up from the college. Sometimes, when there is no time, he would take her to his office from the college. With time, they became inseparable from each other. Like this, days passed, but still, there was no evidence of the culprit behind that fire accident.