Chapter 4

Jared spends most of his time in the attic, hiding. Brenda hadn't joined him in weeks. Though, it wasn't as if he didn't see her. He went everywhere with her, the school, mall, and park. She didn't know, of course, because Jared's too fast to catch in the act of spying. Jared wasn't spying. At least not with intent. Jared is at Brenda's side. He can't explain it. But, if trying, Jared would say when the thought of Brenda enters his mind, Jared finds himself in the same room with her. One recent morning he found himself in her bathroom while she showered. As it turned out, grabbing a door handle and easing out of the bathroom proved more complicated than simply disappearing. Disappearing isn't correct either. Jared's superpower is speed. 

Lately, Brenda's been at the library reading books about witchery, demons, and how portals to alternate worlds work. No matter her effort at ignoring Jared, searching for Macey remains on the radar. Jared appreciated her loyalty. He hasn't told her because one, she'd be angry about him following her, and two, she's been distant. Jared doesn't know how to approach her without receiving the evil eye glare. 

"Jared," Eddie said as he topped the stairs. "Where were you?"

Jared held his arms out, finger pointing to the floor, a gesture indicating right here, "I've been here for an hour."

"I was just up here, and you weren't, Jared. Where is she?"

"I'm not trying to spy. I try not to think about Brenda. I looked over at Mom's book and remembered Brenda laying it there, and off I went to the library." Jared hasn't learned to control his power, and until he does, the school is off-limits. He can't risk disappearing in front of classmates. "How did you learn to control the beast?"

Eddie settled in Elijah Tabers's old office chair, "I can't say I've learned to control it. My instincts trigger the beast. When there's a danger, the beast emerges and eases when the threat is gone."

"Your instinct turns you into a beast, and mine sends me speeding across town to Brenda." Jared saw his uncle grinning. "What?"

Eddie walked toward Jared and slapped his shoulder, "Brenda and Jared sitting in the tree," Eddie sang out of tune, but the truth rang clear to Jared. Brenda is his mate. "You'll work it out, Jared. Right now, we have a visitor." The beast in Eddie emerged, with seven horns, large teeth, and eyes in search of prey. He leaped over the railing and descended the stairs heading for the library. 

By the time Eddie the beast reached the library, Jared was standing in front of the ancestral tree. Its limbs swayed in various directions, a dizzying spin at its center. Jared glanced at the beast, "Nothing's come through yet." 

Roxanna slipped in behind them, "Is it, Macey?" 

The three waited to see who or what appeared out of the tree. But, the spinning stopped, as did the moving branches. The event proved unproductive. Macey didn't return. No demon entered, nor the boy who had claimed Macey was alive.  

"I could go to the other side," Jared said. 

Eddie returned to human form, "You may be able to go to the other side when you are in control of your speed and strength." 

David appeared in the doorway, holding a textbook and staring over the top of his glasses, "What did I miss?" 

David asked what everyone thought about the portal opening at the tree.  It is unusual for the tree to be active, and no ghosts appear from the other side. Roxanna, Eddie, and Jared shared their ideas while Brenda, lingering by the door, remained quiet, listening to their shared ideas. Their thoughts included a demon spotting them and deciding to avoid conflict, or Macey trying to come home but was somehow stopped, maybe by Evalena or the female boss of the dead.