Chapter 10

Jared stared at Brenda the entire drive out to the farm. She said they would bring his mother home with a definitive tone. Jared didn't know how he got lucky, but he did with Brenda. He's also appreciative of his Uncle Eddie, Roxanna, and David. They headed out to Uncle Eddie's farm to prepare for the fight, and no one complained. They were all excited once they created distance from the mansion.        

Distance. 

Maybe that's what they all needed, time away, away from the portal, and the constant fear another demon will enter their world. Looking at Brenda, Jared knows all he needs is her by his side. Like Roxanna is with Uncle Eddie and David with his mother. An unbreakable bond with a girl familiar as night and day, exhilarating, daring, and breathtaking. Brenda. 

One hundred acres of flat land with an abundance of trees provide privacy around the perimeter. Uncle Eddie was raised on the farm, as was his father and grandfather. Each passed down the family secrets. The curse, Evalena, the family tree, and the beast in each of them, taught from childhood. They were raised to hunt and kill as the beast but blend in with humans. People would never understand their gift, a spell from Great Aunt Sarah to Uncle Eddie's great grandfather to help the family destroy the witch. 

The farm offered an obstacle course and target shooting. Uncle Eddie, Roxanna, David,  Brenda, and Jared settled in. Uncle Eddie started a fire and poured a drink. "This is your home. Get comfortable, tomorrow we start training."

"Shall we prepare dinner?" David asked. They bought food on the way in but disagreed on who was cooking. David, wanting to keep things in order, volunteered. It felt good to do more for the family, a break from studying. 

Later, they sat around the table eating, drinking, laughing at each other as they got tipsy. Jared half-heartedly laughed because he busied himself staring at Brenda, who looked beautiful by the fireplace. Relaxed and smiling. Uncle Eddie nudged him, "Join the party."

Jared darted his eyes, "Caught," he said.

"The time will come, but tomorrow it's all training. Got it?"

Jared grinned and lowered his head, looking down to hide his embarrassment, "Yea." He glanced at Brenda, who signaled him to join her away from the others. "I have to go," he said to Uncle Eddie. 

"Go where?"

"The restroom, Master Taber."

Uncle Eddie chuckled and shoved Jared away. David announced it was time to turn in, at least for him. Roxanna and Uncle Eddie cozied by the fire, "You have a long training day planned for us?" Roxanna said.

"Yes, it will be intense. The same training I received from my father and his."

"This farm is beautiful, Eddie. When Macey's home, do you think you and I could spend more time here? Just us?" 

Uncle Eddie gazed into Roxanna's eyes, "Yes, we'll do whatever you want." Their love for one another blossomed over the years. Each supported the other consistently. They cozied up to each other in silence, watching the flames flicker.

Outside Jared and Brenda joined, gazing at the stars in the night sky. Jared brought a throw for Brenda and wrapped it around her shoulders. A sweet gesture. "About me showing up everywhere."

"I know, you can't help it, Brenda said. 

"I'm getting better."

Brenda laughed till tears formed, "Jared, I understand now." 

"I just want to explain."

"That you're into me."

Jared paused and darted his eyes at Brenda, "What?"

"I'm into you too, Jared," Brenda said and stood there as Jared leaned into her. His mouth brushed against hers, sweet and sexy. Brenda waited a long time for this, but she swiftly backed away. "You're not going to shock me again. Train first, then we kiss, got it."

Jared smiled and intently stared at Brenda, "Once we seal our love with a kiss," he said.

They both heard a noise and directed their attention to the tree line. Brenda tossed the throw aside, "I don't see anything."

"I'll go check it out," Jared said before Brenda could stop him. She waited but saw no sign of an intruder or Jared. "Jared!" Brenda called out. She took a couple of steps toward the trees, still acres away. Breathing deep to steady her fast-beating heart, she yelled again, "Jared!"

Uncle Eddie came running out of the house, "What is it?"

"It's Jared. We heard a noise. He's in the trees somewhere."

Uncle Eddie searched the tree line, "Humans can't trespass. Whatever it is, it must be supernatural," he said and turned into the beast. One giant leap, and he was at the tree line. 

Brenda thought it impossible for Uncle Eddie to jump that far, but he did it. 

Roxanna came running out of the house, "What's happened?"

"Mom, we heard a noise, and Jared went to investigate. Now, Uncle Eddie is out there too." Brenda no longer felt relaxed. A fight was brewing not only with the demons but within herself. An evil force will attempt to take Jared, which terrifies her, but Brenda has another plan, kill the witch who threatens to gain power over Jared. Brenda intends to be Jared's mate, and sharing him with Evalena will be over her dead body. 

"Find the weapons," Brenda demanded and ran into the house. She searched each room and couldn't find a single gun, sword, or knife, not even a slingshot. Her palms sweated, heart raced. She ran down the hall. The further she ran, the more extended the corridor. The doors she just opened closed. She saw her breath as she exhaled. The hall. "Oh no. No, no, no." Behind each door, something yearned but deadly. She's in Evalena's alternate world she made from magic with evil intent. "Nothing is real here," Brenda said. "How do I get back to the farm?"

"Silly girl, you have no power."

It could only be the voice of Evalena. Brenda gasped. "Ok, ok. You're not here. Your body is back at the farm." Knowing that didn't make her feel better. The hall never ends and behind each door is a fictitious world that threatens to trap her forever. She must run but to where? 

"Over here."

Brenda faced Evalena. The witch's black drool spilled from her mouth. Her hair, matted with god knows what. She reached out with long boney fingers, black nails several inches long. "Come."

There was no way Brenda would submit to Evalena. It is suicide. "Not a chance in hell," Brenda said.

The witch came flying toward Brenda, who raised her arms in defense.

Jared kept screaming Brenda's name back at the farm, alerting the beast and Roxanna. 

Brenda lay on the front porch,  body jerking and arms flailing. "No. no, no!" she screamed. She kicked and cried more. 

"What's happening to her?" Jared yelled.

David said, "She's in the hall. By the look of it, she's not alone."

Roxanna kneeling by Brenda, said, "Evalena has her?"

Brenda suddenly screamed, "Jared!"

Jared glanced at the beast and disappeared. 

"No!" Roxanna yelled. "Where did Jared go?"

Jared stood at the end of the hall, behind each door on the right,  a false life for Brenda. Evalena stood between him and Brenda. "Jared?" Brenda cried out. 

Evalena faced Jared with a surprised looked on her face. She did not bring him there. "How are you here, Jared? Her voice was wicked yet shakey. 

Even if Jared wanted to answer the witch's question, he couldn't. Brenda screamed his name, and Jared would come wherever Brenda was, including an imaginary horror hall. He looked past Evalena and saw Brenda reaching out for him, and in a blink, he passed by the witch and grabbed Brenda. 

Brenda held onto Jared, thankful to feel his touch, "I knew you'd come."

"Always."