Chapter 8

At age twenty-two, Ivan  Fogg, the butler, rang the doorbell and stood on the mansion's front step. He interviewed for the job a day earlier. Ivan is the grandson of Mrs. Bayliss, the spiteful town librarian. Mrs. Bayliss knew there was something odd about the Taber Mansion and its occupants. So when the butler's job opened, she urged her grandson to apply. "Keep secret your identity, grandson. Learn as much as you can and report back," she said. Her actions far exceed nosey. It was a downright intrusion. 

The door opened, and out rushed Jared and Uncle Eddie, "Oh, excuse us," Eddie said. "Are you the new butler?"

"Yes, sir," the lanky lad responded.

"Welcome. Go ahead inside. You'll find someone to show you around. We're running late, later," Eddie said. 

Ivan watched the two leave the property and then enter the foyer. "Hello?" Old paintings of people Ivan wasn't familiar with, except for Elijah Taber, lined the walls. Grandma Bayliss was right. The house is creepy and cold. Like, refrigerator chill. 

"Hello, again," Brenda said from the far side of the corridor. "Come this way, and I'll show you around." Brenda gave Ivan the house tour," You're in charge," she said and left him with the maids. 

Ivan was in, but not sure he wanted to be there. He looked over the budget Roxanna left for him and inventoried supplies. Ivan imagined any good butler would do the same. Imagined because Ivan is not a butler. Once Ivan completed a few tasks, he ventured into the library. In it, the most beautiful painting he had ever seen took his breath away. "Amazing," he said as he stared at the mural. 

"What are you doing in here?"

Ivan spun around and saw Roxanna, the legendary parent who once ruled the Parent-Teacher Association at the local Taber Elementary. Students still talk about her fights with school officials. "Hello, I'm new."

"Butler, yes. What are you doing in the library?"

Ivan felt sweat building in his hands. "I had a few minutes to check on how well the maids are keeping house. I ended up here. May I assist you, ma'am?"

"Yes," Roxanna said. "You may leave."

Ivan blinked his eyes and gave Roxanna a curious glare, "The estate?"

Roxanna slapped the side of her legs, "The library. It's off-limits. Got it?"

A gentle nod and Ivan was out in the hall. The legend is true. Mrs. Taber, the wife of estranged Edward Taber, Jared's uncle, is intense. Ivan went to recheck the budget. He'd run a tight household if he wanted to keep his job and survive Roxanna.

Roxanna eyed the room. Nothing seemed to be missing. The butler's first day, and she finds him lurking in the library. She checked her candles, assuring she had enough for tonight's ritual. It is time for Jared to practice entering and exiting the portal at precisely eight PM. "All ready," she said and left the library, satisfied she had all she needed. 

Ivan watched Roxanna from the dining room as she climbed the stairs. Once Roxanna reached the top, Ivan spun around and jumped back. He darted his eyes to one side of the room and the other. A second ago, he saw a woman, but now the large room bares no occupants. Ivan straightened his jacket and proceeded to the kitchen. Behind him, the dining room door slammed, causing Ivan to jump and spin around midair. 

"A ballet dancer," Jared said. 

Ivan gasped. Jared's nose was no more than an inch from his, "How?"

Jared flexed his muscles, "Did I get here so fast," he said. "I'm looking for the seven-horned beast. Have you seen him?"  

Ivan's lips trembled. He glanced at the dining-room door. "You were running late." 

"For what?" Jared worked hard not to laugh at the visibly shaken butler.

Ivan instinctively stepped back and bumped into Uncle Eddie.

"Hello, you must be the butler," Eddie said. 

Ivan looked at Eddie and darted his eyes back at, "Where did he go?" 

"Who?" Eddie said, barely able to hold his laughter. 

Ivan turned toward the seven-horned beast towering over him. He stumbled back, blaming his grandmother for his current predicament. Spy on them, she said. Report back, she said. Ha, she wouldn't believe him if he tried. Ivan rubbed his eyes and took a second glance. The beast disappeared but to where?

"Ivan. Are you alright?" Brenda stood where Jared had just been, a look of concern on her face. 

Ivan's eyes widened, face paled as he fumbled for words, "I have to leave," he said. He turned to the right, then left, and searched the room for an exit.

Brenda pointed to the foyer, "It's that way."

Ivan rushed past Brenda and bolted for the front door leaving Brenda with Uncle Eddie and Jared laughing. "That'll teach Mrs. Bayliss to try and snoop into our business."

"He probably reached the county line by now," Eddie said. 

Jared laughed so hard his stomach hurt. They were onto Ivan and Mrs. Baylis from the start.  As history has it, Jared thought of Brenda, and off he went to the library. Brenda, deep into a book on superpowers, overlooked Jared. But, while Jared attempted to leave, he heard the retched Mrs. Bayliss scheming with her grandson to learn all the Taber Estate secrets. Of course, Jared had to tell Brenda he was at the library. To his surprise and delight, Brenda didn't seem to mind. Tensions have eased between them, for now. 

Roxanna joined them, laughing, "Well, done. Brenda, you'll search for a real butler?"

Brenda wrapped her arm around her mother, " Yes, the ad is still online."

David came through the still opened front door aiming his thumb back at Ivan, running along the driveway, "Was that the new butler?" 

"Yes, and not anymore," Uncle Eddie said.

David darted his eyes back and forth, trying to decide whether to ask what happened while he was away from the house. It seemed every time he returned home, something new transpired. "Should I ask?"

"No, we handled it. But, we need be careful of spying eyes, " Roxanna said. "Did you get the ingredients?"

"Yes, as planned," David said. "At eight o'clock, Jared uses his powers of both speed and lightning, electricity," he shook his head. "Whatever it's called. In and out. That's the plan until we learn more." 

David looked directly at Jared. Jared stared straight through him. "Jared?" Around them, a dark and vacant space. David rubbed his arms, "It's chilly in here, he said. A cloud of his breath dispersed into the room. Taking notice, David said, "It is below forty-five degrees, isn't it?" He spied the room. Roxanna, Brenda, and Eddie vanished, but to where?  David looked to Jared for answers. "What's happening?" Jared remained still as concrete. His breath was undetectable like he wasn't breathing at all. David's heartbeat thumped against his chest, fast. They were back in the hallway the evil witch created. An alternate world where doors lined the corridor and behind each one something desired. 

"Jared, it's Evalena. The witch has returned from hell. None of this is real." A voice came from within the room next to him—a female on the other side.

Jared.

Jared sighed. A long-held breath escaped, "Mom?" He reached for the door handle. His mother is so close.

"No! Jared, don't go in. It's a trick!" David lunged toward Jared.

Another breath exhaled void of the condensation. Jared isn't the real person. A fake created by the witch. The next thing David saw was Roxanna, Brenda, Eddie, and Jared staring at him. The room is much warmer. He welcomed it, but confusion clouded any excitement.  

"David to earth," Brenda said. Their fun with Ivan, the fake butler, ended.

David wobbled. He fell straight back, and his head smacked the floor. Light's out.