Chapter 35

Final Chapter 

It's the first day of winter. 

But despite the coldness and the brilliance of flower blossoms, I felt warmth within me. 

Everyone here in front of the Capitol was wearing their own sweater to hug them on this wintry day. I can see extreme trepidation within their faces, hoping that they will not be chosen to be the representative of Ortho.

This annual gathering can't be postponed. Every year, the president of each city needs to select random people to be the delegate in preparation for the coming bloodshed and crisis. 

Being fearful became common. Sa pagkakaalam ko, wala pang kahit sinong nagvolunteer para itaya ang buhay nila. Everyone seems afraid to live far from their families—even me.

"Don't be scared. You won't be chosen." Evander whispered beside me. 

Sa totoo lang, kakaunti lang ang nararamdaman kong takot. I had whirlwind of emotions pero ang pinakanangingibabaw sa lahat ng 'yon ay matinding pangungulila.

Hindi ko alam kung bakit.

Hindi ko rin alam kung para kanino. 

Naramdaman ko ang paglapat ng kamay ni Evander sa akin ngayong iaanunsyo na nila ang naging resulta. It was a random draft pick. At kung ano man ang kalabasan n'on, naniniwala akong ito ang kapalarang naghihintay para sa akin.

For nineteen years of living, I felt void of emotions—inadequate, empty and lack of purpose.

There's something missing in me that I couldn't figure out.

"Ms. Dasha Cosette Arevada." All of their eyes darted on me after the female head officer announced my name.

Tumingin ako sa huling pagkakataon kay Evander gan'on din kina mama at Cosmic na nanonood sa akin mula sa malayo.

"I will volunteer—

Kaagad kong pinigilan ang kaibigan ko sa gusto niyang sabihin. Before this annual gathering, we already talked about this thing. He told me that he will volunteer himself if I was chosen. He knew how much I wanted to stay beside my family so he's willing to take the risk.

Iyon ang pagkakakilala niya sa akin. Pero sa pagkakataong ito, nag iba na yung nararamdaman ko. My love for them was beyond eternity to the point that I'm willing to step my foot at the edge of death just to assure their safety.

I believe that's the most effective way to show them how much they mean to me—by sacrificing myself and showing an act of braveness. 

"Kaya ko." Pinanatili kong matatag ang sarili ko bago matapang na nagmartsa papunta sa entablado para harapin lahat ng mga mamamayan ng Ortho. 

In the middle of my heavy emotions, I still manage to smile in front of them.

Kumaway ako sa gawi nina mama. I suddenly felt like this was a repeated scenario. Crying and saying goodbye to them because this will be our last encounter for a while.

"I fully committed myself into this job. I pledge to do everything I can to protect our city even if I have to risk my life and die at the middle of every battle." Panunumpa ko habang nakataas ang kanang kamay. 

I should devote myself in this mission. We have to protect the whole Niveria against any forms of conquest.

"Are you ready?" Muli kong naramdaman ang pagbigat ng dibdib ko. Before they brought me in a carriage to train in the city of Deltha, I went to my family's direction to have a proper goodbye to them.