24 || Chapter Twenty-Four

"If these random hull breaches don't stop soon, we're going to have to wear our spacesuits everywhere we go from now on," Noah grumbles, shoveling some dirt into our sifter. It's the day after the greenhouse hull breach, and in the distance, repair crews work the outer shell of Greenhouse Four to fix the broken glass there. Mom says the loss is especially great because the hull breach destroyed our entire crop of fruits and vegetables. Not to mention, we have a limited supply of the special radiation-filtering glass that lets plants thrive while keeping out excess harmful rays from the sun.

We've made good progress today, reaching about another foot toward the massive structure below us. If we keep up this pace, we'll have the top of it unearthed in the next day or two. Right now, though, I'm grateful it's the end of the day. I'm drenched in sweat, exhausted, and so ready for dinner. My muscles have turned to rubber, and my arms shake as I work my shovel. Noah seems to be managing his better, but then he's strong and wouldn't complain if his arms had turned into jelly. We both have grit in common.

"Yeah," I reply. "Someone's targeting all the critical systems, our information resources, our people, our food. What's next? The commanders?" Silently, I add, who aren't Colonel James. Even though Ian isn't here, others could hear, and it could get back to him or the colonel. I can't afford to go around making accusations, at least not until we can back them up with proof he's responsible.

"Hey, you're talking like one of the community. Thought you didn't want to be here," Noah teases.

"Well, not really. I'd rather be on Earth, where I don't have to worry about stuff like this happening, and where I can go swimming in the ocean, hang out with my best friend Anna, and..." I stop myself before I mention Ben, for some reason not wanting to talk about him in front of Noah.

"And?" he asks.

I continue shoveling, not sure if he saw the gesture. "And...everything. Spend weekends during the summer with my aunt and uncle at their lakeside cabin. Graduate high school. Attend Julliard. Join a dance company and become a prima ballerina—"

I let the words trail off. Already, a lump burns in my throat as I consider everything I've left behind and everything I won't get to do. Anna and I may not see each other again. We won't serve as maid of honor at each other's weddings or godmother to each other's kids like we'd planned. And right now, I don't want to think about any of that.

"Hey, sorry to bring it up," Noah says, still shoveling. I'm grateful for the way he keeps it casual and doesn't make a big deal out of my mini-meltdown. It lets me take a few breaths and center myself.

"What about you?" I ask. "What did you want to do before you found out you were coming here?"

"It's always been my dream to explore Mars," he says. "It wouldn't be anywhere near as fun if I didn't make the team. Or...if you weren't here."

I smile, warmth radiating from my chest out to my entire body, to my fingertips and toes. "Yeah, all this wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun without you or the team, either. It's--well, besides being here with my Mom and Dad, and Jacqui, it's what makes living here worth leaving everything behind."

"So, you're getting used to being here, then?"

I laugh. This is the first time I've had a chance to ponder the question. "Yeah, I guess so. It's kind of terrifying here. It's dangerous. It has nothing Earth has yet, but it's starting to feel like home. Back on Earth, I'd never have been part of all these amazing discoveries we get to make."

My eye strays to the setting sun, which casts long shadows behind us. I lift my eyes to the mountains bathed in a gold and red glow beneath a butterscotch sky. It's beautiful here, too.