26 || Chapter Twenty-Six

The community meeting is packed like our first one was. I sit with Mom, Dad, Jacqui, and Noah toward the front of the hall. After the initial burst of unity during the memorial, it seems the community has fragmented again because people gather in their cliques. Around us sit several greenhouse workers Mom and Jacqui have befriended, along with several commanders on Dad's level. Across the room, most of the excavation team sits together in front of the mechanics and their families. A fresh paint scent still clings to the air in this room, cloying and sharp. Onstage, Admiral McClure approaches the podium and clears his throat. All chatter stops as the collective attention of the crowd snaps forward.

"Good evening, citizens," he says. "This week has been a tough time for our community. Two hull breaches caused the loss of several truly great men and women whom we now mourn. We haven't yet been able to determine whether or not these were accidents. On top of this, due to the second hull breach which struck Greenhouse Four, we have suffered a catastrophic loss of crops meant to sustain our people."

Colonel James opens his mouth as if to say something, probably to protest that of course these were accidents because he tries for an innocent expression of righteous outrage. He doesn't succeed, though.

"I wonder if he's going to tell us about the symbol," Jacqui whispers. We both look to Noah, who shrugs in response.

"No idea. He doesn't tell me before he makes these official announcements."

Admiral McClure stares down Colonel James until the shorter, oversize man snaps his jaws shut and glares back, fuming. Hah! Take that, walrus. Seeming satisfied, Admiral McClure turns his gaze back to the audience and continues, "Preliminary results suggest these were not random, however, I'm not at liberty to discuss the evidence as yet."

At this, Colonel James stands, defiant. "Admiral," he says in his annoying, high voice. He tries for some confidence, maybe even some dominance, but fails spectacularly. "Perhaps we should wait on the conclusion of the findings before we engage in such wild speculation."

"When someone or something threatens our community, the people have a right to know, and it is my duty to keep all of you informed as this situation develops." Admiral McClure again stares him down until Colonel James sits and remains quiet in the seat. "Now," Admiral McClure continues, "we don't know why someone would do this or what purpose it would serve, but perhaps we should heed their warning and remain vigilant. For now, security will patrol the entire habitat, and I would like to strengthen our security force. Anyone interested in volunteering for a patrol shift on their off-duty hours, please see me after the meeting."

Good. At least the admiral is taking this seriously, to be fair, but still, I don't know if his plan will be enough. Why isn't he mentioning anything about the distinctive symbol on all three disaster sites — the shuttle crash and each hull breach?

"For now, I ask all of you to exercise normal caution and be extra aware of your surroundings. Memorize escape routes and the locations of hull doors sealing off each section of our habitat. I know you've already gone over this information in orientation multiple times, but I want to review this again with you given the dire circumstances. Pay close attention so we can avoid future loss of life."

He clicks a remote, and on the IMAX-sized screen hanging over center stage, he displays an image of the entire habitat, complete with hull doors labeled in bright orange. "I would like all of you to post this map, which will be provided in each of your apartments, somewhere on your living room wall. Study it, know it well. Note that from the time the alarm sounds, you will have thirty seconds to reach your nearest door before it seals. If a door fails to close, there is a manual override switch, and you will find tools in the panel on either side of the door to push the doors closed or pry away any item blocking the doors."