Chapter 5

Sometimes you make mistakes

He said he will protect me. He said I'm stronger and braver than I think I am. He said I have to do nothing and he will protect me. He said all those nice things, so what was I supposed to do, huh?

Of course I wanted to kiss him.

Turns out it wasn't the best of time to do it. Is there ever going to be a best time?

We drove in silence as he stared out the window and I just focused on the road. The rain had stopped but the sky was still cloudy. I squinted at someone walking down the road. It was the first time since that morning that we have seen a person.

"It looks like a kid." I said.
"What?" Taiyan looked at me and blinked as if coming back to reality from wherever his head was.
"Down the road. It looks like a 5 or 6 year old boy."
We both looked at the boy walking slowly down the road.
"He looks normal." I commented.
"We don't know that."
"Well we have to check."
"What?"
"I'm gonna pull over and see if he's normal. We can't just leave him here."
"Aera don't even think about pulling over. We're almost at the airport and even if we take him in..."
"It's a little boy."

I slowed down the car as we neared the boy.
"Aera don't pull up. I told you to not do anything."
"How can you ask me to ignore a child in a city full of zombies?"
"It's not a child and things can get out of hand in a second. Don't pull over."
"I know I've never said this before but shut up Taiyan."

Taiyan tilt his head in frustration before he leaned in and pressed my right thigh. Consequently, the car accelerated.
"What the actual fuck?"
I held on to the steering wheel while I tried getting his hand of my leg.
"Are you crazy?" I yelled at him.

We were nearing the boy and I was afraid I might run him over.
"Are you? Look at it. He is not even turning around at the sound of the car. It's a zombie, not a kid."
"Maybe he is in shock. Let go."
I went on to press the brakes but Taiyan bent down and held my leg at the ankle making it immobile. Just how strong was he? I tried shaking it off but it was in vain.

"Why are you acting like that?!" I screamed.
"Why are you? I told you to not do anything!"
"I don't take orders from you!" I yelled back.
"Well you have to if you want to live. I know you are a giant walking heart but I won't let you kill us here."

I was getting mad at him. He may be controlling my legs but my hands were free. Just out of spite, just for the sake of being petty, as soon we were close enough to the boy I turned the steering wheel.
"What did you do?" Taiyan came up leaving my legs free. But before I could gloat at being smart, both of our eyes widened spotting an abandoned car on the sidewalk.

I pressed the brakes but it was too late. The speed of the car was too much and the collision would happen for sure.

"Fuck." I heard Taiyan before he pulled us both down. His entire body covered mine in a very uncomfortable position. I closed my eyes and heard the loud bang and felt the impact as all of my body organs seems to have detached inside me.

I breathed heavily as Taiyan pulled me up.
"Are you okay?" He asked me after literally covering my body with his own.
He ran his hand over my head to check for bleeding.

How dare he do that? He is suck a jerk. I put our lives in danger and he saved mine. I hate him.

"Why are you asking me that?" I yelled at him looking all over his face and shoulders to check if he was injured.
"Why are you yelling?" He asked me his eyes all big and hurt.

"Because you are so annoying." I saw the windshield and thankfully it didn't shatter.

I

huffed and opened the door and got out of the car. Taiyan followed as well.
"I literally just saved your life and you are calling me annoying." He said to me but I ignored him spotting the kid down the road who was still walking oblivious to us.

I began waving at him.
"Hey! Kid! Do you need a ride?!" I hollered but the boy wouldn't look at us.
"You are just unbelievable. It's not a kid."
"How do you know?"
"Stop being so loud. You will attract all the zombies in the area."
"There is nobody here. So just let me..." I began walking towards the kid.
Taiyan grabbed my hand.
"You better fucking stop while I'm being nice." He sounded pissed off.

I turned to look at him.
"Or what? What are you gonna do?"
"Why are you so pissed off at me right now?"
"Because you caused the accident."
"I caused the accident? You wanted to pull up for a zombie kid."
"It's not a zombie kid."
"Stop being so loud."
"I will be loud. What are you going to do about it?"
"I will..." Taiyan breathed out stepping closer to me our eyes locked.
"You will what?" My voice somehow calmed down and got breathier on its own.
"Grrrrr gha oooo." The voice was coming from somewhere to the right of us but I was too immersed in his eyes to notice.
Taiyan's lips got painfully close to mine and I closed my eyes feeling his breath on my skin.

BOOM! The explosion happened to the right of us. We both stumbled back gasping at the loud sound as the car we collided into just burst down into flames right in front of us.

"Oh my god." I breathed out.
"Ghaaarrrrr..." The growling was coming from behind us. I gulped and looked at Taiyan. We both turned our heads slowly to look at the source.
I have no idea how I supressed my scream. I was so shocked that it got lost in my chest.

Taiyan's adams apple bobbed as both of our hands found each other's. We intertwined our fingers and held tightly as we witnessed the sight before us.

It looked like a hundred or maybe more Zombies were walking towards us. And all of them were being lead by the Zombie kid I caused the accident for.
My heart skipped a beat. The car behind us was still burning.

The zombie walked closer and closer by the second and I was too shocked to realize I caused all this.
"Aera?"
I looked at Taiyan, his eyes were wild like before. He wet his lips before saying,
"are you ready?"

Was I ready? Was I fucking ready for this? HELL TO THE FUCKING NO!!!

...