Chapter 17 - Move Along and Get Given Hell

Amy brushed her hair out of her way as the wind that blew into the open driver's hood pushed it against her face. This feeling was familiar, but not quite the same as driving her Forester or Eiko's STI at high speed. Of course, a tank is much slower and heavier than a car, but Amy didn't let that get in the way of her joy. Her tank now responded to each input properly, without hesitation. The steering brakes responded without question and the clutch worked smoothly, biting at just the right point. It was now possible to slam through the gears of the transmission like she was driving a Honda – each gear notched in crisply and the shifter didn't feel vague or floppy.

All the work the crew had put into the Ram paid off, and it was a brilliant machine in perfect condition. It was certainly possible to argue that it was in better condition now than when it left the factory. Eiko had gone over every part to see if it needed replacement, repair, or upgrading. Unfortunately, many higher-quality parts were a lower priority than just getting the tank running again, but at least that meant there was still work to do later as the crew became even more in tune with their vehicle.

Too bad I won't get to use it properly yet...

Delilah had worked with Ayame to come up with a plan that combined both of their ideas, which meant that there would be a lot of waiting and stationary firing. The only time there would be a lot of driving would be to and from the start point.

Better enjoy it while I can, I guess.

Amy pulled the tank out of the column and sped up. Yelena and Mia both protested somewhat, but they knew enough that it didn't really matter what they said. Eiko called out cautions and warnings as Amy weaved in and out of the column of tanks, passing the M3 Lees in front of her, then the tank destroyers, and finally the light tanks. She brought them alongside Ayame's M7, resuming her sane driving while Delilah and Ayame went over things one last time.

"Quarter mile to the point." Eiko reminded her.

"A great man once said he lives his life that way."

"What?"

Amy downshifted and floored the accelerator. The suspension of the Ram squatted back under the sudden change in momentum. Once the initial acceleration was over, it was as though Amy was gliding the twenty-nine-ton tank over the grassy field. She pulled gently on the steering levers, just barely enough to avoid things yet with minimal drop in speed. In less than a minute, the Ram had reached their designated point and Amy pulled into a slide, making a complete circle around the Tankery official and her jeep before coming to a stop.

"I hate you so damn much right now." Yelena groaned.

Mia was more kind with her words. "Must you really do a full circle like that?"

"If I just put it into a hard slide, the track might jump." Amy said innocently.

"Whatever... I must say though, I am getting used to your driving. I hate it all a little less, and that, in and of itself, is an accomplishment." Yelena opened her side hatch for fresh air as she spoke.

Since they were driving at normal-person speeds, the rest of the team arrived and lined up a few minutes later.

Together, Ayame and Delilah organized a last-minute meeting with the tank commanders. Ayame laid out the full plan to them, who would then relay it to their respective tanks and carry it out.

From her jeep, the Tankery official called out the one-minute warning.

"All right, you know what that means." Announced Ayame. "Everyone, mount up and make your tank ready for combat."