{Chapter 4}

[Dream POV]

~Swearing~

I nibbled on a piece of steak as George ran on ahead, finding flowers no doubt. I examined my hands briefly before jamming them into my pockets. My fingernails had elongated and sharpened to resemble talons. The skin on the backs had also hardened and darkened, a tell-tale shadow where my scales were bound to appear.

"Dream! Look at this one!" George held up a bright white lily-of-the-valley that he had just picked. I nodded, not trusting my voice to produce a human sound. The moobloom added the flower to the small basket on his hip that Karl had given him. There was already a motley assortment of flowers in the basket, poppies, cornflowers, and tulips of varying colours filling it.

That was when I felt it.

A feeling of dread and apprehension. My wristband pinged and I opened it up immediately.

[TommyInnit had made the advancement [Eye Spy]]

And then:

[Tubbo_ has made the advancement [Eye Spy]]

I let out a soft breath of relief. People entered the strongholds all the time, it didn't mean anything. This was just the first time Tommy and Tubbo had done it. Yet still the feeling refused to leave me.

I didn't realise we started walking again until we reached George's hobbit house, repaired after Tommy and Ranboo's attack.

"Thanks for walking me home, Dream." George said, startling me out of my thoughts.

I simply replied with a gruff "No problem." My mind still preoccupied with the feeling that worsened as I continued to walk, as if something terrible were about to happen. I felt my wings pressing against my hoodie-

Wait-

What-

When did my wings appear?!

My heart beat, once, thudding against my ribcage before settling back into its regular pace. It happened again, and again, and again...

I fell to my knees, clutching my chest as my heart thudded eight times in total, followed by a deafening crash in my head that resembled the sound made by an End Portal...

No.

No.

No.

Nononononononono.

"FUCK!" I screamed, not caring who heard.

"Dream?" I heard George, he sounded far-off.

"FUCK!" I screamed again.

I heard George running towards me.

"Dream what's wrong?"

I clutched at his blue t-shirt, not caring if he saw my hands.

Echoing my thoughts, he noticed my talons and scales.

"Dream what happened to your hands?!"

"George," I gasped breathlessly, "Tommy and Tubbo are going to the End."

He looked at me, confused.

"Okay...?"

I shook my head, trying to dissuade the headache that was growing with every passing second.

"You don't understand, they can't go to the End, if they do, they'll kill the dragon, they can't kill the dragon," I raced.

"Dream, slow down, you're not making sense." George tried to calm me.

"George, you don't understand! If the dragon dies, I DIE!" I shouted. I vaguely registered tears streaming down my cheeks, though I didn't recall when they began.

"...What?"

"I'm a dragon hybrid, George! An Ender Dragon hybrid, THE Ender Dragon hybrid!" All I registered was George's look of shock before I wrenched my mask off.

Glowing purple eyes, short, twisting grey horns, small, curved fangs, hard black scales around his eyes...

I felt my dragon powers interfering with my admin powers, creating some strange mixture of abilities that I couldn't even dream of controlling.

"If the dragon dies, I die..." I repeated weakly, I could feel them getting closer to the portal, they'd step in any moment now...

"Use your admin then," George said, "Teleport them here, or ban them or something."

I shook my head, worsening my headache.

"Dragon powers, admin powers, mixed, can't use," I knew I wasn't making sense, but I couldn't find a way to unravel the sentence for him.

"Who else knows?"

I sagged against the figure next to me, I no longer had the strength to sit upright. And they hadn't even entered the End yet. I knew when they did, I would automatically begin reverting to my hybrid state. That in itself wasn't a problem, only that it would fully re-awaken my hybrid powers, and not only did I not know if I could control them, but I didn't know if my body would be able to cope with the sudden influx of power.

"Dream? I need to know, who else knows?"

My back arched as the spikes along my back grew and my wings flared. Suddenly, my baggy hoodie felt far too constricting.

"Hoodie... too... tight..." I managed to grind out. George seemed to catch on and he pulled my hoodie over my head. As it popped off, my wings flared again, ripping through the thin material of my white t-shirt.

"Sap... he knows..." I whispered. I saw George's usually soft eyes harden, but he said nothing, silently opening the chat on his wristband and sending a whisper to Sapnap.

"He'll be here soon." He said tersely.

I nodded in reply.

Suddenly, my eyes widened as I felt them go through the portal. I jerkily faced the sky; mouth open in a silent scream and eyes clenched shut as I felt my hybrid powers grow tenfold. I felt dragon's breath tickle the back of my throat as I threw myself to the floor and allowed the fireball to escape.

I vaguely registered my wristband ping, but it was immediately pushed to the back of my mind. I knew they were in the End; I didn't need the writing to tell me. I screamed, hearing a far-off roar.

Arrows pierced my time-hardened scales.

This couldn't be happening.

Explosions as the small ones shot my crystals.

This is it.

Flying down to protect the sacred structure.

I can't survive this.

Roaring in pain at the unnatural explosion.

There's no way.

Merging with the shadows of the void to avoid their arrows.

My throat rasped as my voice broke.

More explosions.

I could feel it all.

More arrows.

They were so close now.

One final explosion would do it.

Then...

Nothing.

(994 words)

Hi sorry if there's mistakes, I didn't rly proof-read it, so yeah.

Went back to school today and already wanna murder everyone so fun.

-Tak