Chapter 6

1 year later...

"Aurora, hurry up, the Aphelion family are going to be here soon, your father will be angry if you show up late,"

"I know! I'm ready!" I called to Yetta from the bathroom.

"Then hurry up girl! The king will have my head too if you go waltzing in there late" I opened the door and flopped my hands to my sides. I had already tried on five gowns that Yetta didn't approve of.

"I wouldn't be late if you didn't insist I try on multiple dresses" I strolled into the bedroom.

"You should have tried those dresses on two days ago like I asked you to," Yetta placed her hands on her hips and frowned at me.

"I forgot" I shrugged and sat by the vanity so she could do my hair.

"What's the big deal anyway, I don't see why I have to make such an effort for people I never see anyway," I slouched in my chair and Yetta tapped my back to get me to sit up.

"The Aphelions are the royal family of the dark fae, Aurora. It's a rare occasion that they are meeting with your family. You should want to make a good impression." Yetta said as she braided my hair into an elaborate up-do.

"Well I thought our families had to stay separated, from all those stories you told me about the gods growing up, I thought it was bad for us to meet," I looked at Yetta in the mirror.

"It's your magic that must remain separated. Yetta said as she finished pinning my hair. I stood to put on my earrings and take one last look in the mirror. I was wearing a gold embellished flowing gown with my hair up revealing my pointed ears and diamond earrings.

"How do you know the story of the gods is even real?" I asked as I strolled to the door after Yetta.

"Never question the story of the god's girl. The gods are always listening" She said pointing upwards as I opened the door and strolled into the hallway.

I paused and placed my palms together, looking up towards the ceiling.

"Gods if you're listening, please help me get through this evening" I chuckled but Yetta wasn't pleased.

"The gods have better things to do than listen to you. Now move, girl," She grabbed my arm and walked me down towards the ballroom to join the rest of my family awaiting the arrival of the Aphelions.

Today was the day of the passing but my father arranged the meeting for after the eclipse so that we would have our magic for protection incase things went sour. It's been one year since we lost Zia, although it feels like no time has pasted at all. To my relief the rest of my friends made it out of the party unharmed and was escorted back to the light realm by the royal guard. Our friend group hasn't been the same without her; I often wake shaking from nightmares of that night. The image of Zia's terrified face as she lay dying on the floor has never left my mind.

Since that night, attacks from voiderz have increased and many fae who live in the realm between realms have been killed. My father and brother believe it's only a matter of time before those attacks spill over the borders of the light and dark realms. That's why this meeting was called, so they could come to some agreement on how to work together to find out who is behind these attacks and to prevent more from happening.

I entered the ballroom and joined the King, Queen, Xander, and Nuri who rolled her eyes at me for being the last one there.

"Can't you be on time for once," Nuri said as I took my position between her and Xander.

"Are the Aphelion's here?" I scanned around the crowded ballroom as though I was looking for them. My father invited them to our annual party, show them a good time first and discuss business later he said.