Chapter 7- Andrew

Chapter 7- Andrew 

"Can I come in?"

Andrew stood frozen in place, wishing his eyes were lying to him. He gave a glance to his mother and sister. Nicole was still sprawled out on the couch, one eyebrow arched in curiosity. His mother lowered her cup. He could feel her judging him silently, eying the person at the door with a mix of intrigue and caution.

Cassandra's gaze silently pleaded for him to give her a chance to explain.

He gritted his teeth. "Maman, I will be back in a minute," he said, tugging the door firmly shut behind him, as if that action alone would make his family forget who they had seen.

The hallway of the old building smelled of moisture and rat poison, its gray walls showing through the faded green paint that once covered them and now appeared only as an occasional patch.

Cassandra dropped the empty pizza box on the staircases. "I know this is a lame disguise, but it's the best I could come up with on my way here."

Andrew arched his brow, much like his sister had done. He didn't want to admit how alike they were sometimes. "And what happened to the real delivery girl?"

Cassandra shrugged. "Nothing permanent."

He snorted, the action turning into a laugh. He brought a hand to his mouth trying to stifle it. He didn't know why he was laughing. It could've been her comment about knocking out a delivery girl, maybe the absurdity of the statement itself and the very fact it made sense to him. Maybe it was disbelief that she was in front of him, like he had dreamed so many nights she would be. 

And maybe it was something entirely different.

"What's funny?" Cassandra asked, moving closer. He was a good few inches taller than her and she had to tilt her head up to meet his eyes.

He grabbed Cassandra's waist, pulling her close and feeling her figure against him. His hand reached for the cap on her head, letting it crumple to the ground as he brought his lips to hers.

She stood stunned for a moment, before kissing him back. Her hands wrapped around his neck. She leaned further into the kiss, her thumb placed behind his ear, palm cold in contrast to the fire burning within Andrew. Lust. Love.Anger.

Andrew broke the kiss. "What are you doing here?" he asked, out of breath.

"I've missed you," she breathed.

He stiffened. After all he'd done last year, all that's happened, she had pushed him away. She had no right to appear on his doorstep and demand anything from him.

"I spent the last year missing you, Cassandra. I'd hoped you'd call or send a message. Do you know how guilty I felt to be sitting at the dining table with my family after so long and all I could think about was you? I wondered where you were, if you were even alive. If you'd really missed me, you would've put me out of my misery."

"Majesty and I have been tracking Snakehead," she deadpanned, dodging the topic like she had so expertly done so many times.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?"

The longing in her eyes was snuffed out, replaced by her walls as her expression went back to stoic. "Don't act like I didn't do this to protect you and your family."

He pointed to his front door. "Like you're doing now by being here?"

She took a step away, putting some distance between them. "Would you have replied to me if I sent you any other message other than coming here personally?"