Chapter 12- Chloe

Chloe

Looking at the guard at the back entrance, Chloe gripped her taser tighter. A taser was not a good idea if things got out of hand, not by a long shot. But so much blood has already been spilled, and if everything goes according to plan, they would not need violence.

The night was warm, but anxiety made her shiver in jeans and a tank top.She exchanged glances with Irene, a reassuring smile on her face. The first time they had entered the back of this club, it had been involuntary. For so long Chloe wanted nothing but to find Irene, have her back in her life. This was not what she meant.

It would have been miles easier if they had run into each other in New York City, while Bill was still alive. Then Chloe wouldn't have told anyone about Snakehead and his business. She wouldn't have fallen for Diana.

How is that a good thing?

Chloe adjusted her earpiece, just as Diana confirmed they could make their move.

She looked across the street to another club, where Diana and Cassandra were setting up smoke bombs. What better way to distract the masses than but throw them a smoking gun, and convince them you had made a mistake while your plan was gunning it through the back door all along? It had been a tactic Chloe had used numerous times. When men looked at your outfit and your innocent gaze, no one noticed a missing wallet. When you wore a lab coat and moved with grace, no one noticed a missing key card. When you moved with purpose, no one questioned you.

Chloe checked the time on her Phi watch, her stomach turning at the sight of the device on her wrist. It sat there, like a shackle.

Squeezing Irene's hand, the two of them waited, until smoke spread from the club across the street.

The guard at the door didn't move.

"Come on," Chloe said, a shadow of doubt creeping inside her head. Majesty was supposed to clear a path for them. Had she tricked them?

Irene nudged her as the guard lifted a hand to his earpiece, disappearing inside the cub. The girls exchanged looks, bolting to the door left ajar.

Irene shut it behind her, eyes wide in fear. Chloe took in a deep breath to recompose. She was here to help these people, not join them. She was a trained fighter, she had survived worse. 

There was no reason to be scared.

The back door hallway branched into more hallways. Chloe already knew the layout well. It had been the same everywhere. Lots of darkrooms, doors closed.

"We have to find Nicole," Chloe told Irene who was frozen at the door.

The girl shook her head.

"You can do this. You're neither helpless nor alone now," Chloe assured, though the words were meant to ease her mind too.

It was dangerous to walk down these hallways. If someone rounded the corner, or a client decided to finish early, they'd be caught. Strangely, it was not the prospect of getting caught that upset Chloe— it was failing to save Nicole.

Irene nodded and the two of them began their search, peeking into every room they could find. Most were empty, some were locked and there was nothing they could do about that in the moment.

They went room by room, each door revealing one more scared, numb face. Chloe gritted her teeth, knowing she had once born that same expression every time the doors to the room would open.

She pressed her fingernails into the soft skin on her palm, sick at the sight of the dim hallways and people who roamed them, sick at the thought of the man who controlled it all.