Twenty-Six

2 6.

•••

"You what?" Lilly squealed like the girl she was, a few heads turned our way, and I just smiled avoiding eye contact. "What? I mean what?"

Maya's fry fell out of her mouth as she gaped at me. Yeah, apparently my friends were shocked to find out Liam, and I kissed — countless times.

I nodded my head. "Yes, can you believe it? It's crazy right?" I asked, it's just unbelievable.

The light brown-skinned girl waved her hand in the air. "But you hate Liam," Maya said with a scowl on her face. "You literally digged a grave in his back yard!"

My eyes widened in shock. "Uhm what?" I asked, looking around anxiously. "That's... I was — it was for an experiment on Mrs. Blackwell's cat."

Lilly frowned, and Maya tilted her head to the side. "You're such a bad liar," Maya accused pointing at me with her fry. "It was totally his grave."

"How do you even know about it?" I asked with a roll of my eyes. "That was top-secret."

"It's not so top secret when there's a big hole in Liam's yard," Maya replied, and raised her left eyebrow. "I can't believe —"

"Okay, enough about this boring conversation," Lilly cut in as he clasped her hands together. My eyes drifted to her. "So when did all this happen?"

I swore I saw sparkles dancing in her eyes. Opening my mouth to say something, Maya cut me off. "I just don't get it. You hate him, Dale. You're always want to kill him. How could you possibly be in a relationship?"

Chuckling, I took a fry from her plate careful not to take the one that fell out of her mouth. "I wouldn't put a label on it —"

"Yet," Lilly interrupted.

"But," I continued, "this is definitely progress because he's taking me out tonight. And to answer your question Maya, yes I did hate him, but he's different now."

Speaking of — I haven't seen him this morning — but I was sure he was around here somewhere.

"I knew it!" Lilly squealed like the girl she was, "oh em gee, this is great!"

Maya groaned as she threw her head back. "Guys, I don't have a prom date," she complained and blew out a breath of air.

This definitely took me by surprise. Come to think of it, at the beginning of the year, I thought Adam was going to be my date which now turned out that he won't be. Shit is sad. But maybe Liam will ask me if he's not planning on taking Celine.

Maybe he doesn't want to be seen with me in public.

Prom was a week away, and it was enough time to prepare. The girls asked me to go dress shopping with them since I always have the best choices — no doubt there — I happily agreed to it.

It turned out I was wrong about Liam — he wasn't at school today — which was kind of a shocker. He was probably lazy, and bored to get up.

I texted him, and he was perfectly fine. He said he was planning  our date, and somehow he convinced me with that response. But it couldn't take a entire day to plan a date. Or was he planning something else? I did not know.