Chapter 114: brought to you by bad guy

Winston returns from sacrificing himself for the greater good.... Again. Tony tries to wow Neara with his clay skills and does not end up succeeding. Neara gains a powerful new suitor, which pisses off Orson because JUST MATE DAMN YOU!!!!

________________________________________________________

Winston appeared in the doorway, fists clenched to his sides. Half-healed scratches and gashes twisted his body. He'd obviously tried to clean up before coming, the dried blood stuck to his kilt and the tip of his ears. Neara's heart dropped to her stomach. He'd just barely left, how was he back so soon and looking like he'd come back from a... well, he basically had gone to war. A one-man war against the Scorpions.

"Agatha, I must speak with you." His voice sounded strained, like he'd yelled too loud for too long.

She stood and gingerly approached him. His energy felt violent, barely restrained blood lust. He probably wouldn't hurt her, but the intense stormcloud grey obscured his normally silver eyes, making him look flat and made of pure rage. He nodded and walked down the hallway to an empty storage room that had once housed extra dried meat, long since distributed to the Tigers. Despite the emptiness, a thick smell of meat still assaulted her when she walked in and she almost swooned.

"Agatha, I can't ignore Ape King's threats anymore." His voice echoed more of the barely restrained fury from his body language. His entire frame looked stiff and unyielding, like he was carved from limestone. "It was not Scorpions outside the walls, but a Colossus."

Neara's hands flew to her mouth and her eyes shot open so fast she felt the wind on her corneas.

Winston continued talking, looking over her head. "He knew I'd have to fight to protect the City. This was a death mission. I believed I had to be loyal because he protected the City, but now I know he is not capable of saving us." His intense gaze shifted to her, although a little warmth flickered behind the storm. "You, I believe, are the one who will help the City."

A deep breath pulsed through her nose as she tried not to erupt into nervous laughter. Her? An anxiety-ridden female? Woman. Damn it, she was a woman. Well, maybe she shouldn't be too harsh to judge because they didn't use the term like a neckbeard did and she'd already referred to herself and others with that term, but wasn't she setting back feminism, what little there was, by using it or was she just putting her world views onto a society that didn't conform to them? Who was she to lead anyone? Sure, she could invent, but most of the things she came up with were things other Clans had already discovered; she could only help them in the barest possible sense. "I don't know if I can help anyone," she finally said after getting her ribs under control.

His gaze softened significantly, although he still towered over her. She wanted to wrap her arms around him and bathe his wounds and throw herself off the balcony for thinking like that.

"I will not force you." He paused and blinked slowly. "I should see to Ethel." He gazed above her head and out the door. "She's mated to an Eagle and they sometimes carry off females. She should be warned."

"Oh. Ok. Makes sense." Neara's throat felt like it was going to collapse on itself like a marshmallow in a vacuum.

"Is there something you need from me? Say the word and it is yours. Tony let me know you were prevented from drinking the other day. Let me know when you want a drink and I'll make sure you're never stopped again."

Her words couldn't find her mouth. I thought we had something but you've been acting weird since you found me again? I thought we were going to mate but you acted like I was just another female to protect? You used to look at me like you couldn't look away and now you're always looking somewhere else? She couldn't say any of that; worse than being ignored was being rejected. Besides, she felt powerless to open her mouth anyway. There might as well be cement in her jaws.