Chapter 37: brought to you by appetite

Because my brain keeps writing and if I don't put it down it will keep me up all night and sleep is the one ring to my Smeagol. Preeeciooous.

__________________________________________________

For a long time Shay remained in her snake bunker, chatting with Curtis and eating what food was slipped in for her. Her hunger returned far sooner than she expected over and over, but Curtis seemed to expect that and so instructed Ryan to keep food nearby. When Ryan wasn't madly running about collecting late season fruits, veggies, and roasting more meat over a fire (the meat from before had come from a rabbit, ironically), he worked on the roof above them, lifting roughly hewn still green planks. Shay knew that was a bad idea, but she didn't know why. She didn't know how wood was cured or what happened when it didn't, having never built anything with it.

She told Curtis this, along with various other things that came from her world. Curtis had the fascination one would expect of a child being told about a land of honey and toys, despite the difficulty he had in comprehending some of her wording.

Eventually she had to step out to use the restroom, denying both Curtis and Ryan's offer to shield her from the rain as she did so ("We aren't that close yet."). When she finished her business and returned it was to find Parker and Joseph back in the front yard and facing down a irate Curtis.

Parker spotted her instantly and his face lit up, but he quickly turned his attention back to Curtis as Joseph spoke.

"I've won the right to court her," he said. "I can duel you again." He put a hand on one of the handles of his knives.

"I don't care," Curtis said. "You're lucky my female is delicate today or I would have already slaughtered you where you stood, so leave. Both of you."

"You said I could help build the roof!" Parker cried. "You're not seriously keeping Shay under all those leaves in all this rain, she'll get sick! Again!"

That did make Curtis fidget. Though it seemed to give Joseph an idea.

"Fine," the rabbit said. "How about this: I am very good with my hands." He gestured to his various gear. "I will help build her a roof, as is only my duty. With minimal help I can finish it by the end of tomorrow."

Parker did a double take. "A shorty like you? You lie."

Joseph ignored the leopard, much like he ignored Ryan.

Curtis looked ready to change his mind and lash out on principle, but Shay jogged forward to his side, splashing water and mud up her calves as she did so.

"Wait, Curtis," she had to jump a bit to grab hold of his forearm. "Let's accept. We need the help. I can't stay in your coils all day long, you need to hunt for yourself too. It's been a few days now."

Curtis dropped down enough so she could reach him easily. He considered her for a long moment before sighing.

"Fine." He turned to head back inside, picking her up as he did so. Ryan, however, lingered, his eyes on the leopard and rabbit.

Once inside Curtis didn't wait before pulling her back onto the bed and building the bunker about her again.

"Wait, I'm all muddy, I'm getting it all over the bed."

"It's too cold for you to bathe, you're already turning all purplish. I can't boil water and keep you warm."

Shay groaned and flopped back down again. "I miss indoor plumbing."

Which, on Curtis's inquiry, got her explaining the true majesty of the modern age: clean, running water, hot or cold on demand.

The snake was nigh speechless for a short time. She had already explained lightbulbs to him in the darkness he kept in around her as well.