chapter four

a/n: Strawberry Crepe & Sorbet Shark= they/them don't question it
ps. yall's comments on chapter two crack me up- thanks for the support though <3

Espresso found that his good mood didn't last until morning. His day began to sour the moment he heard voices outside of his house- most likely Sorbet Shark & Strawberry Crepe Cookie. Strawberry Crepe would constantly get the two in trouble, usually because Sorbet Shark was too oblivious to know what they were doing wrong. The shark only spoke in bubbles, but he could understand English perfectly fine.

Espresso was sure that Madeleine was the one who had encouraged the pair to stay outside his house. Which meant they were directly outside of Espresso's house too.

Espresso often thought of moving.

But no, he didn't have the time.

Espresso peered out of the window. Sure enough, it was Sorbet Shark and Strawberry Crepe. He internally groaned and shut the blinds. What time was it? Hopefully the kids weren't out too early in the morning...

Fortunately, it was already 8am. Espresso found it hard to keep track of time. He often buried himself in his work far too long than he expected- there was no telling when he'd last taken a break. But, considering his condition, he found it easier to work for long amounts of time in order to remember all of what he learned.

He could still hear the voices outside, but Espresso continued to write on the whiteboard frantically. If he was to take a break, at least his progress would be saved. Speaking of progress, Espresso recalled the mess Madeleine had made last night. It would take a while to get the coffee scent out of the air and clean the mixture in between the floor cracks, but that was the least of his concern. First he had to convince himself that he hadn't lost everything. Unfortunately, that was hard to do.

He looked at his writing and sighed. He had lost practically everything he'd worked on, but maybe that wasn't such a bad thing. Espresso could use this as an opportunity to do more research. Although, it wouldn't be easy.

He stepped away and rubbed his forehead. A little sunlight couldn't hurt, right? He trudged over to his door and opened it to the bright sun.

Sorbet Shark noticed him almost automatically. "OooOo!"

Espresso offered him a smile, stifling a yawn. He knelt down as Sorbet waddled over to him. "Good morning to you too, Sorbet."

"Wait, you understand them?"

Espresso scowled at the familiar voice. He turned his head to meet Madeleine's eyes. "Of course I understand them. Do you really thing I learn nothing after so much time spent working?"

Madeleine laughed as if he hadn't heard the distaste in Espresso's tone. Strawberry Crepe pulled Sorbet Shark back with their Wafflebot arm and pouted.

"You guys are running my time with them! Go away, you're no fun!" They stopped their feet.

Espresso stood up and brushed his coat. "If that is what you'd like, Strawberry Crepe, then I shall leave."

Strawberry Crepe let out a hmph, and Espresso couldn't help but smile. The young cookie had been taken into the kingdom after encountering Gingerbrave, Wizard, Chili Pepper, Strawberry, and Custard Cookie ||| while the five had been on an expedition. Strawberry Crepe had been under the influence of Dark Enchantress at the time, making them a minor antagonist. But, now that the cookie had somebody to play with, they no longer despised everyone- at least, not severely. Espresso knew they held a secret admiration towards the knights, including Madeleine. Maybe that was the reason why they hung out here so often.