chapter nine

a/n: okay, i won't lie, this is basically an uneventful chapter. it's literally written just to give some depth before we go through the actual lore.........

The first thing Espresso saw when he got home was a package by the front door. As he got closer, he discovered that the package was sent by Mont Blanc Cookie.

Clearly, Hollyberry forgot to mention the outfits had already been sent.

Espresso took the brown box through his front door and into his room, where he used a pair of scissors to open it. Inside was a square-like shape wrapped in wrapping paper, which Espresso tore open to find shimmering fabric along with a note.

Dear Espresso, it read, As per Hollyberry's request, I have composed an outfit for you to attend the ball. I am sure you've been informed about this, since you have gone on a quest with the cookie. If not, the ball will commence tonight at 6:00 PM. As I could not receive any input from you, I did my best to create such an outfit that would fit your elegant style. I hope you like it, and I'll be excited to see you at the masquerade. Signed, Mont Blanc.

Espresso frowned, setting the note aside and picking up the folded sheets. The color palette was mixed with golds, browns, blacks, whites- and to be frank, Espresso quite liked it. After all, Mont Blanc was the best designer in the kingdom. The outfit contained a corset- Espresso had never seen one before-, an elegant brown top with ruffles- Espresso loved those ruffles-, half of a skirt that would cover Espresso's back- also something that was unfamiliar-, white gloves, black leggings, and brown boots. But the thing that piqued Espresso's interest was the thing laying at the bottom of it all- the mask.

It blended between light and dark- white and brown- with gold stitches around the edges. The end of the mask on each side was outstretched, like eyelashes. On top of all of that, there was a layer of gloss that made the mask shine brightly, even in the dark light of Espresso's room.

Oh, Espresso adored all of it.

And as much as he hadn't wanted to go to the masquerade, there was no way this costume was going to waste.

Before Espresso could take more time to admire it, his doorbell rung, followed by three hard knocks on the door. Espresso stood up and started to make his way to the door, wincing when the visitor knocked three more times. He opened the door, surprised to find Strawberry Crepe there.

"Hi Espresso!" Said the little demon. "Hey, what do you have in there? Ooh, is that a laboratory? That's so cool! What do you make in there? Hey! Hey! Why are you staring at me like that? Hellooooo?"

Espresso snapped out of his shock and cleared his throat. He stopped himself from cussing the child out just as Mint Choco and Sorbet Shark appeared behind the pink-haired cookie.

"Oh dear," said Mint Choco. "I'm truly sorry, Espresso. Strawberry Crepe!"

The said cookie turned around and pouted at Mint Choco. "Oh, but papa!" They whined. "You told me I could go ahead!" Then they pointed inside the house. "Plus, look! Mr. Espresso's got an awesome workplace!"

As Mint Choco scolded the young cookie, Sorbet Shark bubbled and hugged Espresso's legs.

"Hey, little guy." Espresso said. "Yeah, I missed you too. Do you mind telling me why you're here?"

"I'm babysitting them," Answered Mint Choco. "I was hoping we could stay at your place for a little because Sorbet was asking to..."

"Of course, come inside." Espresso opened the door wider, ignoring Strawberry Crepe's endless excuses for their actions.

Sorbet Shark happily made their way inside while Mint Choco dragged the mock-crying child into Espresso's home.

"I'm so sorry," Said the violinist again.