chapter ten

The gates were large and black- gold walls enclosed the area, lined with lush green bushes. The surroundings made Espresso feel small, like a mouse in a maze. He felt nervous as the gates shut behind him and took a deep breath, adjusting his mask. Sorbet Shark tugged on his hand impatiently.

"Sorry." Espresso said, grip tightening. "Just the nerves. Let's go in, okay?" He stepped forward to continue the path to the building. It had to be at least 3 stories tall, palette mixing with golds and pinks. It shined in the setting sun- Espresso couldn't help but admit it was impressive.

He could already hear the commotion, but he wasn't prepared for the wave of noise that hit him when he entered the palace.

Shine was everywhere, the chandelier light reflecting off of marble tiling and silver dresses. Espresso recognized a few faces- Snow Sugar, Mango, Almond, Fig- but Latte was nowhere in sight. Mango noticed him and Sorbet, running over to talk with the latter.

As the two chatted animatedly, Espresso removed himself from Sorbet's side and shuffled towards the drink tables. He greeted Vampire cautiously as the redhead poured himself another drink. Espresso leaned on the table and took a cup, even though he didn't plan to drink much. If he knew Latte, she would be here soon enough.

He took a sip and scanned the crowd, looking for familiar faces. He couldn't bail on this party- that would mean Sorbet wouldn't have any adult around them- and it didn't seem very honorary to ditch an Ancient's celebration.

As if on cue, Latte appeared at his side along with one of her students. "Espresso!" She exclaimed, almost surprised. "Fancy seeing you here. I didn't think you would come."

Espresso rolled his eyes. "Right." His sister was dressed in a light tone of brown and highlights of white. Her style was so elegant that Espresso almost thought she was just wearing a normal outfit.

"I like the corset," Said Latte, picking up a cup.

"Mm." Espresso frowned. "Have you seen the new cookies? I was thinking that I should greet them."

"Ah, yeah. One of them is a professor at Parfaedia. I think you've forgotten him."

"Sorry," Espresso said. "Do you know where he is? I might as well get this over with."

Latte pointed in a direction. "Somewhere over there. I bumped into him on my way here. I think you'll like him, by the way. He kinda reminds me of you."

Espresso nodded. "Thanks. What are you planning to do here?"

"Eh. Walk around. Talk with people. Why?"

Espresso cursed underneath his breath. Clearly Latte wasn't planning to stick with Espresso. Guess I'll just have to stay in the shadows. "No reason. Bye, sis."

He sighed, walking away from the table with another sip of beer. He'd have to find the new cookie now.

Espresso coughed.

The air was filled with voices and bodies. It surrounded him like a cloud, an addiction. He cringed, pushing through the crowd. Maybe it was a mistake coming here. It was common sense that it'd be crowded around the dance floor- and the new cookie had probably already left. There was no going back, though. If only there was someone else to guide him. He was never good on his own.

Crap. He rubbed his forehead. A headache was already starting to form. If he lost focus, chances were that he'd forget where he was doing. If only...

Espresso finished his cup of beer just as a voice rang through the speakers.

"Attention guests!" Espresso recognized Hollyberry's heavy accent. "We are now moving on to the pair dancing phase, so go ahead and grab a partner!" The mic shut off and the music changed to a slow melody.