Chapter One: Ships and Songs

He came to me

Across the sea.

With drops of water in his hair

And all the world in his hands, bare.

He stood as one who knew no enemy

And someone who would never be more than me.

His sword aloft in one hand,

A man born of sky and land.

Even with the bite of an autumn chill in the air, the shallows of Vandya are heavenly. Water laps at us from below, covering the bases of our tails and the tips of our fingers as we stretch like lazy sea lions. The sun warms both our bodies and minds. Even Finn's gentle humming adds to the reverie.

It's a shame he has such terrible taste in music.

"Don't you know another song?" I whisper, not willing to open my eyes and break the spell I feel like I'm under.

In response to my clipped question, Finn sings even louder and continues into the deep timbre of the third verse.

Oddly enough, as much as I hate this song, I know all the lyrics. It's a traditional song and by far my least favorite of all the fairytales our parents used to tell us. "Between Two Souls," they call it. Disgusting and unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned. But as Finn goes on to romanticize the story of two heartbroken, forever-separated soulmates, I'm drawn in again. It's just because he has a melodic voice, I tell myself.

But I know that's a blatant lie.

Finn does sing beautifully; all merfolk do.

Every time he sings this song, though, I'm reminded of my favorite part—a beacon in an otherwise depressing tale of love.

He was to his kingdom tied,

And I dare not lie.

The ocean was my only home.

Her life in me brightly shone.

So, we said our goodbyes on the summer isles,

And lost ourselves in skin, love, and broken smiles.

We cried together in the sand,

And I lost my man of sky and land.

I don't care how much the girl "loved" the man from land. She chose her ocean, and for that, I give her my utmost respect.

How could anyone give this up?

The salt gives the surrounding breeze a bitter flavor, and as clouds roll overhead, I inhale deeply. It's a perfect smell, one of my childhood and family, of everything I've known and loved in my life.

Suddenly, Finn stops singing and rolls onto his side. I open a single eye to look at him

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" he asks, blond hair falling over his forehead. The water droplets are a thousand glittering diamonds among the strands, shimmering as they catch the sunlight. His cheeks are slightly pink from the warmth of the sun.