Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Invitation

I decide to confront Prince Eero right away.

There's no point in sitting around and waiting. He knows who I am, and that changes everything.

But does it really? Eero's been nothing but friendly to me the past few days, but will he act differently when he knows I know? There's a big difference between knowing a secret and knowing everyone else does as well. He gave me the mythos so I could figure this out. That has to be why. Couldn't he have just told me?

Regardless, I have to tell him I know.

Ursus's return is two days away. Everything will change when I confront the advisor. Maybe Eero will stand by my side when I do.

I haphazardly hang up the remaining clothes and dump the water in a corner of the backyard. Dropping the bucket off in a storage closet, I half-run up the stairs to Eero's study. He's not there, though. The lack of guards at the door would have given it away if I hadn't been in such a hurry.

"He ain't here," a voice says from the door behind me. My heart leaps into my throat, and I take a careful step towards the desk as I spin around.

But it's just William, standing in the shadow of the doorframe so that he's partially hidden.

Instantly, I relax. I'm stronger now. If he's feeling vengeful, I can take him. Luckily, for the both of us, he doesn't look angry. With his arms crossed over his chest and his short blonde hair slick with sweat, he just looks tired. Has he been training? In this heat?

"Do you know where he is?" I ask as I dance on my feet. The weight of Eero's revelation feels like a bubble swelling in my chest, ready to explode.

"The garden. He sent me to tell you that, actually. He needs you down there."

"Oh." I nod. Why would Eero send him? Is Magnus not around? "Thanks, William."

Careful not to get too close, I skirt around him and head to the door.

"Wait, Ari—" He reaches a hand out and grabs my arm. His grip isn't hard, but instinct kicks in and I knock him off with a sharp jab. William winces and cradles his wrist.

"Sorry," I mumble. "Kind of."

"No, I earned that one," he says softly. His voice is heavy. Resigned. "Eero didn't just send me to get you."

William takes a single step into the room, and his face is illuminated by the light flooding through the study's window. The sight of him makes me grimace.

A dark line of purple and yellow crosses the bridge of his nose, spreading almost to his ears. Both of his eyes are red and irritated, and his bottom lip is busted. It looks as if William's been in a fight with a horse.

And lost.

"I'm sorry," he blurts, looking away from me.

Seriously? An apology? I cross my arms. "What for?"

He sighs. "For fighting unfairly. I never should have gone for your throat. I just—I didn't..."

"Were you scared I'd win?" I ask. My arms fall limply at my sides.

"No," he growls. But his shoulders slump forward. "Yes. A bit. I—I have some anger issues. Eero knows about them, so I'm not sure why he let you go through with your challenge in the first place. Then, I got carried away and didn't really know what was happening until it was too late. It shouldn't have gone that far."

I exhale loudly and rub the back of my neck. Between training with Eero and cleaning with Amaia, I'd almost forgotten to be mad at him.

"It's fine," I say eventually. "No real harm done."