Chapter Twelve: A Little Lightning

Eric sat between Sam and Summer in the jetchopper. A soldier sat on either side of them, two others stood by the door, and the fifth piloted the chopper. Adam took a seat opposite Eric and the others, while Wren remained standing, leaning back against the wall.

Wren kept a hold of Eric's fire during the flight. She let small flames dance on her palm and run up and down her fingers.

"Could you let go of my power?" Eric finally asked. "It's getting annoying."

He wasn't sure why he bothered. She didn't care about his comfort. But maybe Ash would spitefully tell her to knock it off.

"Wren," Ash said. He didn't take his eyes off the ceiling.

To Eric's relief, the sensation of Wren using his ability disappeared.

Wren smirked. Her gaze darted to Ash. "Kind of unfair that he gets fire and you get water, isn't it? Much harder for you to hurt people."

Ash's bored expression didn't change. "You've seen what I can do."

"I didn't say you couldn't hurt people, I said it was harder than just torching someone."

Eric shifted uncomfortably. "I've never torched anyone."

"That's my point," Wren said. "You're wasting your power. It's harder for you not to hurt people than to hurt them."

"Wren," Ash said again.

"What?"

Sam cleared his throat. "Is that building out the window your headquarters?"

Eric peered past Ash out the window behind him. Among the dark greenery of the forest they were flying over, a patch of white stood out. "That's your real home?" Eric asked.

"You could say that," Ash muttered.

Wren folded her arms. "Impressive, right?"

"Looks like a plain old building to me," Summer said.

Wren shot her a glare.

Eric snorted. "Yeah. If Scorpion's so great, you'd think you'd have a cooler building."

"And advertise our location to the whole world?" Ash asked. "We're not idiots."

"Sure."

As they drew closer to the building, Eric realized there were more choppers parked on the roof. Two rows, adding up to about twenty in total. And the building itself, while not particularly wide, was strikingly tall. Ten stories, at least.

Sam's voice entered Eric's mind. Everyone ready?

Yes, Eric thought back.

Summer's eyes closed, and her hand shifted at her side. The hair on the back of Eric's neck stood up as he suddenly became aware of the hum of electricity around them.

Seconds later, he felt it stop.

Summer's eyes flew open. Electricity crackled around her hands. The sound of the engine died. Outside the chopper, the rotor blades slowed.

The chopper dropped.

Wren yelped in surprise and staggered into the wall next to her. Eric's heart dropped to his stomach. Sam jumped out of his seat, and Eric forced himself to stand next to him. Summer followed, still holding her lightning in her grasp.

"What the hell are you doing?" Ash demanded as he stumbled to his feet. "Are you trying to get us all killed?"

Eric lifted his fists. "We've got you covered, Sam."