Chapter Twenty-Four: Run

Ash was so lost in thought that his heart nearly jumped out of his chest when Wren came crashing through the training room door. The sphere of water he'd been holding in the air fell apart, sending a shower on them both.

"What the hell, Ash?" Wren yelped.

"What are you mad at me for?" With a flick of his wrist, Ash pulled the water from his hair and clothes and skin, leaving himself completely dry. "You're the one who nearly gave me a heart attack!" He dispersed the water droplets across the floor.

Wren glared at him. "Could you at least dry me off?"

"No. What do you want?"

"I need you to tell Claudia she's insane!"

Ash rolled his eyes. "I have, she doesn't care what we—"

"She's trying to kill me!"

Something tugged at Ash's mind. A memory. Déjà vu. "Kill you?"

"Well, sort of." Wren threw a fearful glance back at the door, and the terrified look on her face sent a chill down Ash's spine.

"Back up," he said. "What happened?"

"A soldier told me to go to Claudia's office, and when I showed up the Director was there, too," Wren said. "He said I was going with him to the lab."

"He didn't say what for?"

Wren shook her head. "No. But come on, Ash! No one ever comes back from the lab!"

"They've only ever taken a few kids. And your powers are unique. Claudia wouldn't risk losing you." The words felt hollow the moment they were out of Ash's mouth.

Maybe it wasn't his business, but if he was in charge of Wren and the other altered, then shouldn't Claudia inform him of this kind of thing? Besides, they needed Wren to sense other altered. Claudia spent so much time complaining about recruiting. Why get rid of their best advantage?

The training room door opened again, and five soldiers entered. Ash tensed. That was a lot to just fetch one kid. What did the Director want with Wren?

"Wren Cartwright," the lead soldier said. "We're here to escort you to the roof. A chopper is ready to take you and the Director to the lab."

Wren's frantic gaze darted back to Ash. "You have to help me!"

"What am I supposed to do?" Ash's hands tightened into fists. The strange sense of familiarity he'd felt earlier was coming back, stronger.

Two soldiers stepped forward. Wren tried to dodge them, but within seconds they each had grabbed one of her arms. She directed her frantic expression back to Ash. A tugging sensation seized his gut. The water droplets scattered across the floor lifted into the air.

"Wren," Ash warned. "Don't make this worse for yourself. You can't fight all of the soldiers." After a moment, he added, "There's nothing I can do for you, either."

The water splashed back against the floor.

Wren glared at him as the soldiers dragged her out of the training room, but the look lacked her usual ferocity. The doors slammed shut. The clang reverberated through the training room.

Ash ignored the ringing in his ears as he stared at the last spot he'd seen Wren. What was going on?

He shook off his uncertainty, crossed the room, and slipped out through the doors. Maybe he could ask the Director himself. Or overheard something useful.

The sound of thundering footsteps and Wren's protests led Ash up. On the top floor, he peered around the corner in time to watch the soldiers push Wren through the door to the roof. Once they were out of sight, he darted after them, raced up the stairs, and cracked the upper door open.