Chapter Thirteen: Oversight

The security cameras outside Scorpion's headquarters rarely showed anything interesting. When movement on the monitor caught Willow's eye, it was usually just a bird, or a particularly adventurous squirrel.

Today, it was Ash, Wren, and two damaged soldiers approaching the building on foot.

It wasn't any of Willow's business, and no one was going to share details with her later. But she was curious. Given how slim the chances of Scorpion's jetchopper tech failing were, there was only one likely explanation for the missing chopper: the Fortuna Guard.

Willow was the only one in the lab right now. The Director had left to meet with Claudia, though he could be back any minute. With a quick glance at the door, Willow set down the drone she'd been working on and switched the camera feeds on the screen to show the hallway outside Claudia's office.

The only way into the building was through the door on the roof. If Ash and Wren really had lost their chopper, they'd have to find another way up. Willow was betting Claudia would send out a gyrokinetic.

About five minutes later, she was proven correct.

The Director appeared on the security cameras with Claudia, following her to the top floor to meet Ash and Wren as they came inside. Willow slid an earbud in and tapped her tablet screen. She'd dared to leave a few bugs hidden around the building. She hadn't managed to hit every spot she wanted—and she was afraid to try anything too close to Claudia's office—but she did have ears on the upper levels.

"—can't believe you let those kids steal another chopper," Claudia was saying as Willow tuned in.

"Don't forget they have Sam," Ash told her. "We have nothing on the level of a telekinetic. And Eric—"

"Eric should be easy for you to handle!"

"He has a new power!"

Willow frowned.

It took Claudia a moment to respond. "He—what?"

"He has electrokinesis now," Ash said. "But he has no idea why."

On camera, the Director and Claudia glanced at each other. A knowing look passed between them, though the Director was harder to read through his dark goggles.

"Get back to training," Claudia ordered Ash and Wren.

Wren shrugged and started to walk off, but Ash grabbed her arm to stop her. Glaring at Claudia, he said, "Come one! If you know anything about this, you should tell us. We're the ones who have to fight him!"

"What makes you think I know anything about this?" Claudia demanded.

Willow lifted an eyebrow. This was getting heated, even for Ash and Claudia. He usually didn't put up this much of a fight before obeying her.

"Worry less about Eric and worry more about how you're going to get more recruits," Claudia continued. "If you can fight Wren in training, you can handle a kid with two powers."

Ash let go of Wren's arm and stormed past Claudia and the Director, clearly fuming. Wren looked as unconcerned as ever as she followed.

Claudia turned to the Director and lowered her voice. Willow fumbled with the volume controls on her tablet. She could still pick up their conversation, but only barely.

"First we find out he still has pyrokinesis, and now this," Claudia muttered. "Is it possible the abilities weren't...properly removed?"

"He never had electrokinesis," the Director replied. "This is new."

They did know something.

"I'm still interested in reviving the project," the Director continued. "And I think Wren could be the key to making it work."

"I'm not the one you need permission from," Claudia told him.

Was Claudia suggesting the Director needed Wren's permission for whatever project they were talking about? That seemed unlikely. Claudia never expressed concern for the altereds' feelings.

"You know where he stands on the project," the Director said. "Wren's in your army. Let me take her to my lab."

Claudia sighed. "She's useful."

"The army's grown, hasn't it? I think you'll be able to manage without her."

"I'd be inclined to agree, if we hadn't just lost another chopper." Claudia turned around. "I'll give it some more thought. In the meantime, you'll have to stick to studying her blood samples."

"I've been trying that for years."

"Try harder, then." Claudia walked away from him, waving her hand dismissively. "I'll be in my office if you need anything."

The Director wordlessly turned and headed in the opposite direction. He was coming back to the lab.

Willow switched the security feeds back to the outdoor cameras and moved to the other side of the room, where the soldier prototype stood. She lifted a piece of its armor to expose a circuit board in the upper back. After some electrical tests, it would be ready for motion assessment.

A minute later, the door opened, and the Director stepped in. "How's it coming?"

"Not bad," Willow replied as he crossed the room. "The A.I. chips were giving me some trouble during the integration process, but I got it figured out."

The Director grabbed a nearby chair and sat down. "It's been a couple of weeks since you gave us a blood sample, right?"

When Willow had first arrived at Scorpion, the Director mentioned he took regular blood samples from most of the altered for his team to study at the lab. He'd assured her it was optional, but if she was willing, it would be helpful to be able compare her DNA to the other altered.

After a lot of internal back-and-forth, Willow agreed to it. While there might be reasons it was a bad idea, she hadn't been able to think of any major cons. And it would help persuade the Director to trust her.

"Just about," Willow replied. "Do you want another one?"

The Director was quiet for a moment. He was facing the soldier, but his eyes could have been anywhere. "No, I don't think we need another sample yet," he finally said. "Maybe in a few days. I have to talk to my team."

The phone in the front pocket of his lab coat buzzed. He pulled it out, checked the screen, and sighed. "Sorry, I have to take this."

Willow nodded and went back to examining the soldier's circuitry.

"What is it now, Claudia?" The Director asked.

A call from Claudia so soon? Willow moved closer to the Director, pretending to search for something in the tools scattered across the countertop as she tried to catch Claudia's side of the conversation. Still, she couldn't make out anything.

"Again? It's only been a few days," the Director said. "And he hasn't had any more hallucinations."

There was a long pause. Willow picked up a small screwdriver and returned to the soldier.

The Director rubbed his forehead. "Claudia, he's a teenager. Of course he's going to argue with you. And if he starts having nightmares about it again—yes, okay, fine." With a heavy sigh, he hung up the phone.

Willow resisted the urge to ask what the hell that was about.