six. complementary muffin

゚⦁⃝․゚º⚪︎⦁ 06

゚⦁⃝․゚º⚪︎⦁ 06. complementary muffin.゚º⦁ ⃝゚․⦁⋄∘⦿

      THE WEEKEND WENT BY painfully slow

      THE WEEKEND WENT BY painfully slow. if valorie was being honest, she dreaded the weekends. when she wasn't home alone because of her sister's very active social life and her mother's demanding occupation as the chief compliance officer of oscorp (an oversold story of 'how i met your mother' told by her father numerous times), she was tired of playing pretend with her family.

ever since the accident, myranda mitchell loved to bring up the slightest things about her deceased husband, as if to keep his spirit alive in the dullness of the home.

when valorie did the dishes, there was 'be careful, that was your father's favorite mug'. when mazzy and her friends stayed up late during a sleepover, next was 'oh, john would have never let it get this loud', and so on.

it was a hard hit for the family—valorie never did recover fully. every night when she couldn't sleep she wondered what would have happened if she hadn't been snooping around in business that wasn't hers; wondering if she could have prevented her father's death.

deep down underneath all the grief and sadness, she felt guilty. guilty because she couldn't find it in herself to miss him. as much as she pondered on whether circumstances could have been different, she had always been brought back to the same conclusion: her father was a bad guy. he justified testing on innocent babies—called it science when they had died in a lab, stripped from their families.

the worst part about it all was the fact that her mother knew. there was no way that she didn't know—that's what she specialized in at oscorp. she was paid to keep their deepest secrets under wraps from the public. she was paid to lie.

she was pulled out of her thoughts when a loud horn blared. she snapped her head to the left of her, stopping suddenly when she realized she was subconsciously crossing the street, milliseconds away from being hit by a car. luckily, that person had stopped just far enough for the stunned girl to snap out of it, waving in apology before scurrying across.