𝟬𝟴-𝗸𝗻𝗲𝗲𝘀

THE APOLOGIES FLOOD IN AFTER THAT, AND JO'S NOT FEELING PARTICULARLY RECEPTIVE TOWARDS ANY OF THEM.

The first one comes from Marlene, after a long, late afternoon practice when the sun has long since set. The grass is wet under Jo's feet as she makes the trek back to the castle, watching her feet, a shiver down her spine and she doesn't even notice the way Marlene comes up from behind, rushing as she moves to step in front of her.

Jo looks up, watching as Marlene bounces on her feet, walking backwards. There's always so much energy and expression in everything Marlene does; moving too much, talking too fast. It exhausts Jo as she moves with a drag in her step, expression heavy while Marlene gives her a sheepish smile. "Hey, Jo," Marlene says gently, and Jo gives her a subtle nod in response. She's not in the mood for whatever she's about to say. Not after the way Marlene spat venom at her for a week.

Marlene continues on when she realizes that Jo's not going to say anything. "I just wanted to say," Marlene starts, still maintaining a skip in her step, "I'm really sorry for having it out for you like that. It's just, y'know, Lily's my best friend and well, I get a bit overprotective. I reckon you've got your own thing going on and I guess that's why you snapped at Lils and I suppose me bagging on you likely didn't help."

Jo shrugs. "It's alright."

A grin breaks out on Marlene's face, wide and bright. "So we're alright?"

"Yeah, course," she replies, giving her a wry smile. "Not like we were particularly close in the first place, right?" Jo shoves her hands in her pockets, and pushes past Marlene, leaving the blond girl to stand there, speechless.

Jo's a little more direct with Remus.

He approaches her in the library, where she's studying alone, first year students at a table nearby. They watch with rapt attention as Remus approaches her, delicately, hands resting against the back of an empty chair. Jo doesn't look up at him, she doesn't have to, to know he's there or what for. She just continues scribbling down notes on complex healing charms, hoping that ignoring him will just make him go away.

It doesn't, though; either he doesn't get the hint or he doesn't care. Remus taps his fingers against the solid wood of the chair. "Jo, can I talk to you for a moment?" he asks, voice hardly above a whisper.

"No," she answers, quickly and simply, not looking up but her fingers going tight around her quil.

"Don't be like that, Jo, c'mon."

"No. Piss off."

But Remus continues, pulling the chair out from under the table and taking a seat. His long limbs fit awkwardly in the small space, his knees nearly touch hers and he lays his arms across the table, forcing himself into her line of vision, craning his head down closer to her. "Me and Lily are really close," he explains, the pleading tone in his voice making Jo bite down on her tongue. "You know that. And when I heard that she was crying over something you said I just assumed that-"

"That everything was my fault?" she cuts him off with sharp words and a sharper glare. She thinks of her scowl as he flinches, swallowing thickly and shifting up upright in his chair. "That I attacked her for no reason? That's lovely, Remus. You know I thought we were close too?"

"We are close, Jo," Remus insists, "and I'm sorry but you know you can be a bit, well, abrasive."

Jo snorts. "This apology is going really well. Would you care to point out any more of my character flaws?"

Remus pulls on the sleeves of his robes. They're never long enough for him; he's always tugging and adjusting, and it was something Jo used to find sort of cute but when he does it now Jo finds herself irritated at the sheepishness of it. "Jo, I'm really sorry for ignoring you. I am."