𝟮𝟮-𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘀

FOR THE LAST TIME EVER, JO'S BLOOD-STAINED FINGERS WORK AGAINST THE COLD, CLAMMY, MANGLED SKIN OF HER BROTHER as they sit cross-legged on the floor, working against the rising of the sun, full moon fading. James lets out grunts and hisses as Jo weaves suture in and out of the damp skin on his shoulder blade-after minutes of pleading and bargaining James relented, letting his sister practice muggle healing practices on him. He inhales sharply as the needle catches, and Jo has to tug harshly to pull it through. "Bloody hell, Josie. Can't you at least cast a numbing spell?"

Jo's biting down on her lip, eyebrows furrowed in deep concentration as she works quickly to stitch up his deepest wound of the night. "Then you won't be able to tell if my technique's improving," she mumbles as the needle pokes through his skin again.

"Ow, fuck, Josie!" James exclaims as he jerks away from her, and the needle and suture fall from her hands and dangle loosely from his wound, bumping against the bare skin of his back. "I can tell you that it's not. It's your first time just please, please, cast a numbing spell."

"Alright, fine," Jo concedes with a roll of her eyes, pulling her wand out of her back pocket. Gently, she taps it on her brother's back, mumbling a spell under her breath, watching as the numbed area loses a bit of color. At once, James slumps in relief, muscles easing and a rush of air coming out from his lungs. Jo resumes with the needle, stitching him up with steady fingers. "Another rough moon?" Jo questions, eyeing the bruises and more shallow scratches that litter his skin.

James shrugs. "Wasn't so bad. Think he just gets a bit excited sometimes, likes to be a bit rougher," he explains, and though his back is turned to his sister she can almost hear the way his expression shifts as he speaks his next words. "It's his last time out there free, can't blame him for losing it a bit."

Remus has, sparingly, told Jo the details of what his full moons will look like after his time at Hogwarts. Heavy, enchanted chains, dusty basements or attics, distrustful Aurors. Peter has filled her in on the rest-how he will howl and gnaw at his own limbs and break his own bones. How he will fight against his constraints until his human form is beaten, bloodied, broken. It makes Jo sick, indignant, to imagine Remus Lupin reduced to such a fate. "I don't see why he can't just do the same thing he does here at ours," Jo argues, though she knows it's pointless-there's nothing James can do about it. "It's not like he's ever hurt anyone, not with you and Sirius around."

"Yeah, but there are laws, Josie," James reminds her. "Dumbledore's already stuck his neck out to keep him off the registry until he's done with school, others don't get that much leniency and I doubt he'll get much more. Not to mention our assistance in the matter isn't legal."

Jo shakes her head, weaving her needle through her brother's skin. It's much easier now that he's not tensed up and fighting it. "It's bullocks," Jo spits out. "Newt Scamander's a twat. Hope he croaks."

James says nothing to this. He just shakes his head, letting out a chuckle that reverberates through his chest, causing Jo to pause, taking her hands away from his gash until his laughter settles. "I think your technique's getting better. Can hardly feel a thing."

"Piss off," Jo quips, quick to resume her work, biting down on her bottom lip in intense concentration.

Now that he feels nothing, James is moving around a bit more. He leans back on his hands, causing Jo to almost plunge the needle directly into his skin. "You're telling me to piss off now," James starts as Jo places a hand on his shoulder, shoving him forward once more, "but when I'm gone and you're the last Potter left, you're going to miss me."

"I'm sure you'll find plenty of ways to annoy me even after you're gone," Jo mumbles in response.

James pauses for a moment. "That's true."