Six: For The Best

Six

"Mason, about our wedding..." I hesitated, thinking about Liam and what I had felt when he looked over to me that one night no longer than a week ago when we came back from dinner. It was like the whole world had stopped and no one else mattered anymore.

"Yes, about that. You need to send out invitations soon, you made a list like a month ago before the accident. Just make sure to write to all of them and send them out. I don't work today, so I can help some if you need...but I do have to get online for a quick couple hours to fill out paperwork," he told, before he wandered up the stairs located to the left of the living room and to our bedroom I presumed. I hadn't been up there yet since the accident, and I don't remember much of what it looks like considering I have been staying in the guest room.

"But, that's not what I meant..." I sighed, but shook it off in the end to realize I had to go through with the wedding...I had to. There was no holding back anymore, and went to grab a hold of the invite list I found in my nightstand. It was for the best, the past me would be proud.

"Woah, that's a lot of people," I said to myself, as I sat down on my bed and went through all of the names I must of thought to invite. It was nearly a hundred! It took me almost two hours to sort through each and write a letter to, but as I was getting to the end of the pile, I thought of someone that I most definitely wanted to be there...Liam.

I knew if he was there, that then everything would go back to normal. He would see me getting hitched with Mason, forever to be, and I would see myself starting a new life, one in which I would have to drop thoughts of Liam from. Because once I'm married, it wouldn't be right to think of any man like that other than my husband.  

Liam Nicholson,

You are formally invited to the marriage of Auburn Carise Monroe and Mason Thomas Chiserly. The celebration of love will be held April 15th, 2015 in Orem, Utah: the happy couples home town. The Flower Garden Hotel is where everything will be held at four in the afternoon. After the wedding, a small dinner and reception will be held. If you are able to come, please RSVP by sending back this letter and marking one of the boxes at the bottom titled 'Yes' or 'No'. Thank you, we hope to hear from you soon.

"Great, all done," I told myself, as I finished up the last one and laid back onto the bed. I was exhausted at the most, and didn't want to do anything but sleep, but I knew dinner wasn't going to cook itself and now that Mason was home he would be expecting me to make something. Pushing myself up, and grabbing my crutches on the floor, I made my way over to our small kitchen and started up with making spaghetti for dinner, which was the easiest thing I could think of at the moment.

"Dinner's ready!" I yelled for Mason upstairs, as I set the table and laid an even amount of spaghetti and sauce on each of our plates. It was strange having a dinner with Mason for once, he was usually always working late...

"Can you bring it up here please? I have way too much to do honey," I heard him yell, right as I sat down and grabbed a hold of my fork. Sighing, I closed my eyes and thought about what I had said before. This was for the best, my past self would be proud. She did have a reason for marrying him. I told myself, before opening up my eyes, grabbing onto of my crutches, and standing up. I knew it would be a hassle to climb up those stairs with crutches, but what couldn't I do at this point?

"Sure, just...hold on," I told him, grabbing onto his plate, fork, and napkin and balancing it in my right hand while I also worked my crutches. It was probably one of the hardest things I have had to do, but somehow...I made it to the stairs. One step at a time. I told myself, as I ditched my crutches and just held onto the railing, and his meal, bringing my good foot on the step first, followed by the casted one.

One after another, I finally made it up the fourteenth  steps exactly. When I got to the top, I was greeted with a large opening, which split into three other bedrooms. This house was bigger than I thought. I said to myself, as I limped my way to find Mason in what looked to be the master bedroom. There were walls of light brown with gray dressers against them, and a large cream colored bed in the middle of it all.

"Mason?" I asked, as I walked into the room to find him against the wall on a desk, with a laptop placed in the center of it which he typed upon. He seemed to be doing the work he said he was, or so I thought. "I brought the food..." I hesitated, limping over to him and placing his plate down upon the wooden desk.

"Thanks hun, it means a lot," he said, not looking up from his laptop one bit. I couldn't see what he was doing, since I was at the side of him, but something seemed off.

"You know, it's a lot of effort to go up those stairs with this broken leg," I told him upset, sending him to look up to me with an uncaring face. It was definitely nothing like the look Liam had gave me...

"Well, you should be moving anyways. I mean, you'll have that thing on for how long? A month? You can't be stranded downstairs forever in that guest room. Why don't you sleep up here with me tonight?" he asked with a smile, since not once since I had gotten home have I slept with him. It seemed weird, even if he was my fiancé.

"Sure, I guess," I replied absentminded, forgetting all that I had been thinking of when he had raised from his desk to give me an actual kiss on my lips! It was nice, I couldn't lie, and definitely something new other than the quick cheek ones.

"I love you, you know that right?" he wondered huskily, meeting eye contact with me. Nodding, I agreed and smiled. "Good," he smiled back, before kissing me once more on the lips, making me almost fall back if it wasn't for his hand which held tightly onto my waist.

"Now I have just a few more things to finish and then we should be heading off to bed. It is almost eight after all," he said, before sitting back down at his desk and typing away. Nodding, I walked slowly out of the room and back down the stairs carefully to eat dinner alone at the table, wondering what the heck just happened...