3. Realm Crossing

Wings of Gold

3

Realm Crossing

The boy was holding a black cup in his right hand and something else in the other. I'm not sure what it was, but he had it pressed up against his ear.

"What is that on his hand?" I pointed to the silver thing the guy was holding. "Why is he talking to it?"

"Oh, that? That's called a cellphone."

"A cell—what?"

"Cellphone," Flora held her hand up in front of me. She folded the three middle fingers, leaving the thumb and pinky finger up and placed it in front of her left ear. "Humans use it to communicate with each other, especially when they are far apart."

My eyes widened in amazement. "Interesting."

"They don't have powers like we do," she continued. "But they are smart enough to build all kinds of contraptions. We still have so much to learn when it comes to their world. I've only seen them through portals and books written by the fairies that travel around their realm."

"Can you please cut me some slack?" The man closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose. He seemed a bit irritated while he was talking. "Try to understand the situation I'm in right now. I'll say it again. I'm not going to that interview." He pulled the thin silver thing away from his ear and inserted it in the suit he was wearing.

"Master Yohan, someone is here to see you." An old woman called out behind him.

"Please tell her that I'll be right out." He politely replied and started straightening out his suit.

"So, his name is Yohan," I smiled, slowly walking around him in circles. "That's a nice name."

Flora bumped her hip against mine. "Do you like him?"

"I don't know," I shrugged. My hand reached out to touch his hair, but it went right through him. "I mean, we just met him yesterday. It would be nice if we were able to talk to him."

"Look at you, you're blushing." Flora teased.

My hands shot up to my cheeks. They were so hot. "I'm not blushing."

"Yes, you are." She started tickling me and we both fell down on the dead rose bush.

Yohan spun around with his eyebrows drawn together. Flora and I froze, refusing to move or breathe at that moment. He came closer, brushing past us. After a brief moment of silence, he exhaled. "Damn rodents." He muttered and looked up at the strangler fig tree next to the rose bushes. He stared at it for a long time. It was like he was stuck in a trance. Yohan had managed to pull his gaze away from the tree. He adjusted his neck tie before he made his way back inside the mansion. We both sighed in relief. For a second, I thought he saw us.

"Did he seriously just call us rodents?" I laughed hysterically as I got up from the rose bushes. "The nerve of that boy. Just wait, when I come into your world someday, I'll turn you into a rodent!" I shouted. That is, if I ever get my powers.

"He can't hear you, Laya," Flora reminded me as she swiped the dead leaves away from her dress. "He saw the bushes move because of us. That's the only thing he had sensed so far. Some humans have the power to see engkantos, some don't."

"Is it because of their third eye?" I said, turning around.

"I believe so," she nodded. "They can easily see and talk to spirits that moved on to the afterlife and from time to time, they can also see creatures from different realms."