Assignment Day

This is it.

My first day as a Knight of Favonius! Or, one in training at least.

These past few months training under the knights have been sweaty, irritating and hellish. The yelling of higher ranked knights stays ringing in your ears and all the different types of stances for different types of weapons and Lord Barbatos have mercy...
But all the blood, sweat and sweet salty tears have paid off because today you finally get some outdoor experience under the wing of one of the highly esteemed captains.

Little did you know it'd also be the start of an ethical nightmare to the Knights of Favonius Headquarters.

Fourty of your classmates all lined up ready to be divided into outrider teams, your heart beating loudly above the chattering of your peers and then she walks in - - Acting Grand Master Jean.
Poised and professional as ever, she silences the class to begin.

"I'd like to begin by saying how incredibly proud I am of this class... While your training isn't quite finished-" She pauses to look back at her own squadron.

Lisa the dangerous Mage and Head Librarian, Outrider Amber the one-shotting Champion Glider and the ever so charming Cavalry Captain Kaeya, who also happens to have no cavalry to captain. And a few other faces who you can't seem to name, probably just fillers.

"I have no doubt that when the Grand Master returns, he too will feel just as proud as we all do."

There's a long pause, Acting Grand Master Jean takes a moment to scan over the faces in our class. "With that said... today your knowledge will be tested." Her tone becomes completely serious, the warmth draining slowly.

"Stay close to your team leaders. Whoever you are assigned is who you will stay with, no questions asked." She warns walking over to the chalkboard that had just been wheeled in.

"You all will be taken to separate active Hillichurl camps. Follow your Team Leader's orders and you'll be able to earn assignment points naturally but-"

She pauses to point to a specific part of the chalkboard, "If you are able to fight and loot effectively at the same time. You could be eligible to receive extra assignment points."

She smiles warmly before continuing.

"Possibly extra assignments all together once your four weeks on field training have been completed."

And then her face falls back to complete professionalism, "But, our main objective is to experience safe exposure to the real field of a knight. I trust you all enough to remain smart and use your learnings to the best of your ability.."

And before you knew it, you and five other Favonian squires were sat in a caravan with Captain Kaeya and Sir Huffman to lead. Part of you was raring to go, to prove yourself as a worthy choice of Knight... But the other part of you was scared shitless.

Training dummies and sparring with classmates was one thing but viscous hillichurls, mitachurls... maybe even abyss mages? Death was certainly a possibility today and that wasn't something you'd planned to encounter for a long while.

Maybe Huffman notices your worry because he shoots you a small smile as Captain Kaeya reads out the names of your team for roll call, handing them outrider materials as he goes on.

A brand new Favonius sword... freshly forged and sharper than the thorn of a wolfhook, some medical supplies and protection sigils forged by Lisa herself.

As Captain Kaeya nears, your hands begin to shake, your legs follow soon after.

Is this really for you? Whatever absence of validation you were feeling that you felt the need to sign up to join the Knights of Favonius, was it worth losing your life over?

And that's when you notice Captain Kaeya standing in front of you for a little too long.

A smoothly malicious voice, your body frozen in fear for just a second.

"First time nerves, Knight?"

Maybe you look like a complete idiot but the concoction of anxiety, lust(?) and some other worrying emotions that you can't quite name right now keeps your mouth hanging open like a damned deer in torchlight...

Who would've thought Captain Kaeya up close would be so...

An icy blue eye peering down through a single squinted lid, lips curved upward just a tad.

What's under that eye patch, Captain?

Captain.

He lowers the bag closer to your torso signaling you to 'Please take it.' And oh that's why he'd been standing there for a while.

"Good luck." he croons.

With everyone armored up and ready to begin the test campaign, Huffman rounds us up to give a run down of rules and what ifs. What to do if your teammate is being ganged up on, what to do if your teammate Barbatos forbid- dies, so on and so forth.

Maybe your anxiety was justified, you think as you hop out of the caravan.

The area we were assigned was just outside Brightcrown Mountains, so no wonder the air was so strong.

A few of your teammates chat amongst themselves, mostly smiling and speaking of how excited they are to fight the real deal. The reality of the situation setting in, the positive side of it at least.

This is just a starter campaign so there's no way it's too big of a job... hopefully.

Well... Here we go.