Chapter 24: Picnic

Rain picked up a strawberry from the spread on their picnic blanket and took a bite as she thoughtfully stared out over the garden. Marcus tried very hard not to look at her mouth as her lips closed around the ripe berry. He failed.

"Poor Nora," she said. "It must have been awful to be forced to do something like that. I can only imagine how she must have felt."

After returning from the agency, Marcus had filled in both Rain and Mr Russell on his findings and his wife had taken it more or less how he had expected. Shock and dismay, quickly followed by concern for the young maid. It warmed his heart to know she cared for servants the same way he did. Too many of their peers were only too happy to dismiss their staff for any minor wrongdoing. While poisoning your mistress could not be described as minor, the circumstances were extraordinary and Nora had suffered enough.

"At least going forward, she knows she can come to me should anyone approach her again," he said.

He was lying on the blanket, propped up on one arm, while Rain sat cross-legged with a few plates between them. The staff had done a wonderful job, setting up below the branches of an apple tree, allowing them shade while still enjoying the balmy summer afternoon. Everything seemed perfect. A beautiful wife who was actually talking to him. Good food. An excellent bottle of wine. It was difficult to imagine that there was a dark shadow looming over their future. More than one. The figurative one of whether they had a future together, but also the literal shadow of whoever had repeatedly attacked Rain. He very much hoped Winter or one of their agents would solve the case of the missing list soon because this was untenable.

"Let us speak of less dreadful things," he suggested. The whole idea behind this picnic was to woo his wife, and he could not do so if she was preoccupied worrying about the maid, no matter how sweet her concern was.

Rain took a sip of her wine and smiled. "Certainly. What would you like to talk about?"

What did he want to talk about? He took a piece of chicken and nibbled on it, giving himself time to think. Planning topics for conversation had not been on his list of tasks before this picnic. It probably should have been. Small talk was definitely not one of his fortes.

As if she sensed his hesitation, Rain winked. "I have a suggestion. How about we each get to ask a question, and the other has to answer with the truth? For each truthful answer, you get to ask the next question. Once someone refuses to answer, the game ends."

He frowned, not sure he would enjoy this game, but he would be a good sport. "Who will start?"

Reaching out to grab another strawberry, she smiled. "Since I came up with the game, you may."

"Right." He thought for a moment. "Which is your favourite animal? You care for so many, but do you prefer one?"

"Hmm." She pursed her lips as she considered his question. He enjoyed just watching her. Even if he wasn't the best at deciphering emotions, she had a very expressive face, and he could still see every nuance moving across her face as she debated her options. "I love most animals. If I had to pick a favourite, though, it might be cats. I like how independent they are."

He smiled. "I can believe that, considering we have around eight at the moment. It is your turn to ask a question."

"Did you truly not have a mistress or meet up with another woman during our marriage?"

Putting down the strawberry he had been about to eat, he fought a smile. "Going straight for the jugular, I see."

She shrugged, her posture relaxed, but he got the impression that she cared about his answer. "Remember, you must tell the truth or forfeit."