Ten

•❅──✧❅✦❅✧──❅•

•❅──✧❅✦❅✧──❅•

Five in the morning is a weird time. I don't think it's the time that I find weird, more like the number. Five in the morning is that time when things are in between dark and light, it's not quite afternoon but it's not quite evening. Five feels like a full number yet it is an uneven number at the same time.

It's currently five in the morning, and it's now that the train starts moving. The woman who's been giving us free coffees has already been around to say we'll be on the move, but it'll be a slow ride to Cardiff Central. We have the option to get off at the next stop and source a free coach ride instead, but the train needs to go to Wales anyway, it'll just be slower than usual.

Both Wyatt and I decide the train is the way to go; we're already here, we won't have to wait for any kind of transport, and they say the fault is fixed, so we might as well do the two hours plus journey here.

I stare outside as the train begins its weird movements; smooth, yet weirdly ragged at the same time. It feels like you're trudging through the snow, but it's not quite right. I keep my ear against Wyatt's chest as I try not to let the sleep overtake me. The pound, pound, pound of his heart makes a rhythmic music beat in my ear, his hand rubs up and down my shoulder through my cardigan, and with every second, I know it's a second closer to us getting off this train.

A hard and long buzz shoots my heart, forcing me to jump out of my skin.

"It's all right, it's just my phone." He grabs his phone, and a smile appears on his face. "It's Rose."

He answers the video call as I sit up to stay out of view to give them privacy.

"Rosy, hey, what're you doing up so early?" Wyatt says.

I catch a glimpse of her: long, brown hair splayed like a halo around her oval face, which is void of much colour. Dark circles under her light-coloured eyes, and although a smile adorns her mouth, she looks like she's sick.

It snaps my heart like a bow string to see the pure love the two of them clearly have as they stare and laugh, but you can sense the pain behind each of their voices and eyes with the heavy reason they're in this predicament.

"Hey, look, you know I said I met someone on the train? Come say hi, Lily!" Wyatt says and moves the phone so I'm in Rose's view.

He's already told her about me. I hope it's good.

"Oh, Wyatt met a girl, huh? About time, bro! Hi, Lily! I've heard a lot about you via text already, and in the past two minutes. I'm Rose," she says. Her voice is thick with sleep and probably pain.

"Hi, Rose! Yeah, I feel like I know everything about you; I've heard nothing but for the past six hours," I joke.

"Oh, you two have something in common already: I hate you both," Wyatt jokes.