Chapter Fourteen: Book

A lot of strange things has been happening around me lately. Thank Hiraya that I have no deep curiosities whatsoever, but it is seriously putting me off.

Kagaya na lang kanina. I didn't get to sleep dahil naaabala ako sa ingay na nagmumula sa labas. In my ears, the haunting shrieks were loud, but I knew they weren't audibly recognizable dahil humihilik pa rin sa tulog si Tamara. Unless na lang na sobrang tulog-mantika niya at kahit na mag-end of the world na'y wala siyang reaksiyon.

I was bothered by the noise, though, so I walked towards the window. Dahan-dahan ko itong binuksan dahil baka naman may magjump-scare sa aking ghost. I'm very much afraid of their ugly faces pa naman. If they have time to scare people, bakit hindi muna sila magsipilyo o manghilamos 'di ba? At least, it would make us entertain them, not run away in disgust or fear.

Thankfully, walang ghost na pinaskil ang itsura niya sa bintana kaya malaya kong natatanaw ang schoolgrounds. There was nothing different. Nando'n pa rin ang lights sa bawat hallway na dapat ay nakabukas dahil siguro'y mamamatay ang mga tao kapag nadapuan ng dilim. But what caught my attention the most was the figure running in one of the corridors.

I watched as the figure disappeared in the darkness only to appear a minute later at the other end of the corridor, once again running and leaving a trail of shadows in its wake. The lights flickered as it passes and the moon illuminated the running figure, following it until everything stopped.

As if it knew I was staring, tumigil ito at tumingin sa banda ko. O ramdam kong tumingin sa direksiyon ko since hindi ko naman nakikita ang mukha niya.

I noticed the shape of a hand pointing to the clear, night sky. I remained standing, refusing to avert my eyes away from the figure. Hindi ako tanga na sumunod kaya pagkatapos ng limang minuto ay umalis na ang pigura. That's when I let myself look upwards.

The moon beamed at the attention, glowing brighter under the darkest night sky I've ever seen. The beauty was so enchanting that my hands were almost tempted to open the windows. To feel the open air and live in the peak of darkness.

I had more self-control than I thought because I resorted to pulling the curtains close, fingers gripping the silk tightly as I closed my eyes, my heart running wild at the strange encounter.

Thursday morning came and I was out of sorts. Tamara excused herself first, running downstairs to find the book she left at the common room. Doon kasi kami nag-aral para sa Biology kagabi at nakaligtaan niya ang gamit. I spent thirty minutes inside the bathroom, the shower running over my soulless body. From there on, my body just moved automatically, taking a set of clothes from my bag and tying my hair in a crown braid before setting foot outside.

Strange glances were thrown my way. When their gazes fell on my boots, terror flashed in their eyes. Students actively avoided me, gasping as they took a step away, opting to pin themselves on the wall than be in a five meter distance than me.

I almost rolled my eyes, treating their avoidance as a reaction over the rumors about me, when I heard Beatrix' scandalous shout.

"This is outrageous already, Raven!" her scream made curious people flock. "Grabe! Wow! You really have outdone yourself! What a fucking rebel you are!"

"Ano ba ang problema mo?" pagod kong tanong.

Marami akong pinoproblema ngayon, Beatrix, huwag kang dumagdag at baka maisipan kong magandang punching bag ang mukha mo.

"Miss Tempest, you are..." Zara showed herself and I could see the surprised faces of my house members behind her. "Detention! Right now!"

Kumunot ang noo ko. Seriously? "Again?!"