Glossary

Hi guys! ☺️💜 

Let me preface this glossary by saying that this is by no means exhaustive or attentive list when it comes to the all the nuances of Slavic mythology. Given that Slavic people are divided into West Slavs, East Slavs and South Slavs, depending on the state they live in, these myths and legends can sure vary A LOT from state to state. 

What you read here is merely a morsel of what I used from stories was told and the research I conducted. Plus, there are still tons of deities, plants and creatures I haven't included in this book!

This is kind of the best thing about mythology, wouldn't you agree? Its stories and interpretations are wide enough to embrace many traditions from multiple regions. 

My hope is that this glossary gives you context for Dana and Max's fantastic word, and perhaps nudges you to perform some research on your own. 😛

Bash-Chelik (bASH CHE-lik) is a character from the Slavic mythology imprisoned by a king in the basement of his castle. When a wealthy prince marries king's daughter, king tells his son-in-law he is allowed to visit any of the rooms, except one which is bound with chains. When his wife is away from the castle, prince's curiosity gets the better of him. He goes inside the room and comes across a man bound in three sets of chains. The man calls himself Bash Chelik, and he begs for three glasses of water. Prince takes a pity on him and fulfils his wish. Every time Chelik drains a glass, a set of chains is broken. When the prince hands him the final glass of water, Chelik regains his massive strength, opens his wings, and flies away with the prince's wife. He served as an inspiration for Basement Blake.

Belobog (BE-lo-bog), the White God, is a twin brother of Chernobog. This god of light and the sun is the supreme ruler among Slavic deities. He is associated with a white horse, white winged dog and a white rooster. He dwells on the Crystal Mountain. He wears a white armor, white helmet decorated with a white rooster feather, and a magical cloak. He carries a silver sword and a silver bow. He is also known by his more modern name, Perun.

Chernobog (CHERNO-bog), the Black God, is a twin brother of Belobog. He is associated with a black horse, black wolf, black snake and a black rooster. He dwells in the Nav, realm of shadows, and is followed by evil souls, wild and rabid army in animalistic shapes. He wears a black armor, black helmet decorated with a black rooster feather, and a magical cloak. He carries a crutch that he can use to raise the undead. He is also known by his more modern name, Veles.

Čardak ni na nebu ni na zemlji (CHAR-dak ni na NE-bu ni na SEM-II) is a Castle Neither in Heaven nor on Ground. It floats on the clouds hundreds of meters above earth. It is said to be the residence of Slavic gods, and beyond it, lies the Crystal Mountain. 

Dazbog (DAZH-bog) is a Slavic god of rain and fertility. His name comes from the Slavic word "dazd," which means "rain." He can shapeshift into a bear. 

Gamayun (Ga-ma-IUN)  is a prophetic bird in Slavic mythology. She is said to spread divine messages and prophecies, as she knows everything of all creation, gods, heroes, and man. She has a head of a woman, and body of a bird, and is a chief adviser to Belobog, the White God.

Kristalna gora (Kris-TAL-na GO-ra) - Crystal Mountain. According to Slavic mythos, all gods of the pantheon reside here. It's an equivalent of Olympus. 

Lelya (LEL-ia) is  the Goddess of the Spring season and love in Slavic mythology. She is represented as beautiful, happy young girl with flower wreaths around her head and waist.

Morana (MO-ra-na) is the Goddess of Winter season, death, harvest, witchcraft and nightmares. She was imagined as a tall, black-haired, pale, incredibly beautiful woman with long nails. She is seen wearing a white gown. She carries a sickle in one hand, and a mirror, in the other.