19 | Stuck With Auntie

Once the cloudlet ride had lowered me and my new dog from Chardak to the streets of Bloomington, I ran home like a person possessed, Sima at my heels, his tongue lolling.

I rang the doorbell, and mom opened instantly. There she stood—my sweet, kind mother, with Osenya wrapped around her feet, both illuminated by the morning rays of a new day.

There was the bright yellow dandelion I had given her yesterday, still tucked behind her ear. And there was the smell of her hair, which always reminded me of the scent of cherry blossoms.

The tiredness and anguish vanished from her face as soon as she saw me, replaced by the look of pure happiness and relief.

"Dana! You're home. Oh, dusho moia. My dear daughter."

Then she opened her arms, and I ran in for the hug of my life.

She hugged me hard, and I felt every ounce that I was pressed into every ounce that was her.

In that moment of feeling my mom so close, I was safe within the house walls, protected.

I felt a weird burst of pride. This was my home. Now that I thought about it, I didn't want a private Radogost mansion so big you could get lost in it. I didn't want to live anywhere else but here, with my mom. My happy, and healthy mom.

We stood at the front door as she ran her hands through my hair.

"I missed you so much. Did you have fun at sleepover? You're back earlier than I thought you'd be."

"A... sleepover?" My jaw dropped.

"Yes, just late yesterday afternoon, when I was beginning to worry, a cleaning lady from your school, Miss..." Mom racked her brains for a name. "I want to say... Miss Gemma?"

I nodded wordlessly.

"Yes, that's right, Miss Gemma! She stopped by to remind me that your school has organised a fundraiser and a final Middle School Sleepover on gym mats, and that you'll be back home today. It must have slipped my mind. Did you have fun with your little friends?"

"I, err..."

The longest journey I'd ever done in my life flashed before my eyes.

The light elevator to the Throne Chamber. Goddess Lelya dancing to the beat of "Imagine." Max and I being claimed, and getting all those cool powers. Skateboarding through the clouds. Meeting Zhara the Firebird, Vasilisa the Cunning, and Ivana Rusalka. Staying at Radogost's wish cabin.

Fighting at the threshold of the Shadow Door and almost dying.

"Yeah. I had fun." I smiled.

I pointedly decided not to mention a thing about learning that I have a scary, hell-bent-on-destruction Black God dad, and a quirky-but-somehow-lovable White God uncle.

"Oh, and I see you've brought a friend!" Mom bent to caress Sima, and he wagged his tail. Osenya, strangely enough, immediately rubbed her nose against his with affection.

"Can we keep him, mom? Can we? Pleeeaas-e?" I turned on my puppy eyes super-power every teen had in their arsenal.

"Well, honey." A shadow crossed her face. "I'm afraid you will have to ask your aunt about that."

"My... aunt? Mom, what are you saying?"

"Let's get inside, and I'll explain."

When the door closed behind me, mom gestured towards the two wooden rickety chairs in our small kitchen. "Sit, dear."

I obeyed, sucking in a deep breath. "What's going on?"

She rummaged around the cupboards for a while, and then pushed a pile of dozen or so letters labeled "Child Services" on the table.