6| Oh, And There Is A Prophecy, Btw...

"How did it feel for you?" Max asked. "When your eyes started..." He hesitated, gesturing at my face. "... glowing?"

"I... I think I saw my whole life flash before my eyes! And then, I kinda wanted to sing the "Circle of Life" song from the Lion King. Whoa. But, Max, it all makes kind of sense now!"

"What? You being daughter of the god of Light?" He croaked.

"Yes! In the past, in the summer, I could sunbathe for hours without getting sunburnt, or suntanned."

"That is weird," he agreed.

"And sometimes I would just like lay in the grass, staring at the son for minutes on end. My eyes would never get hurt or get irritated."

"Maybe this is why your irises were yellow and glowy when I saw you in the boys' restroom! Remember I asked you about that! And the way you brandished that mop against the shadows or whatever those things were!" he exclaimed.

"Yeah."

Max sat next to me in silence, rolling his cap from one hand to another, his face scrunched in deep thought.

He must be going through the same thing as me. Like, trying to assimilate the news.

"Dang, we are children of the Slavic gods, Max! Don't you think that's cool?" I didn't understand how he didn't hype over this.

I was finally someone. Someone special. I, who's always been a nobody.

"Sure, it's cool." He nodded. "To me, it's also kinda scary, dunno. And... Dana?"

"Hmm?"

"I'd never noticed anything special about me before. Wait. Do you think that I'd always been so good at hockey because Morana..."

I could see it was hard for him to say it.

"Because Morana is my mother? You know, ice goddess and all that?"

Our musings were interrupted by the raised voices around us.

Were the goddesses... arguing?

"Yes, we will be sending them on a quest. You are well aware why your son and Miss Ilic are here, Morana," Gamayun rolled her eyes at the goddess of death. "These two are the chosen heroes for the task. The two the prophecy has spoken of."

Morana wrinkled her nose. "Over the millennia, we have trained and assisted many demigods, but I am telling you, they are too young. Max is too young. He's just been claimed five minutes ago!"

"Ladies, please don't fight!" Lelya whined, making puppy eyes at them. "We can solve this peacefully, can't we?"

"You stay out of this!" Both Gamayun and Morana yelled.

Lelya retreated to her woodland throne, pouting all the way.

"Are these your saviours of humankind? Just look at them! Should we be playing their nursemaids? No thank you!" Morana shouted.

I blushed. "Hey, we're not kids."

"Um, Dana," said Max, "we kinda are."

"We're teenagers."

"That's the same thing, just a different word, dearie." Morana held my chin between her claws.

"Yeah, duh, but my version sounds better," I muttered.

It was not like I wanted them to tell me what all this fuss was about, and what task they had in mind sending us on. 

Just wished to prove my point about us being mature enough to handle big stuff.