13

When Bradley got home that night, she wanted to sink into a hot bath and let her worries fade away. But when she saw Taylor sitting on the couch, her legs folded underneath her, she walked over and sat next to her.

"You okay?" Bradley asked. Taylor shook her head without saying a word. "I'm always here to talk." Bradley placed her hand on Taylor's shoulder and squeezed, before standing and attempting to walk away.

Taylor reached for Bradley's hand, stopping her from leaving. "I'll be gone by the time you get home tomorrow."

Bradley looked at her. "Back home?"

"No. God no. I can't stand that woman."

"Then why are you leaving?" Bradley sat back down. "You don't have to."

"But I should." Taylor still held onto Bradley's hand. "You don't need to be sucked into my family drama. I'm going to stay with a friend until I close on an apartment."

Bradley looked at their hands and felt the urge to beg Taylor to stay. "Or you can stay here until you get your apartment. I can make myself scarce, if that's what you need."

"No. I love spending time with you." Taylor finally released Bradley's hand. "But I can't live with you forever. It's not like we're dating."

Bradley smiled. "And even if we were, we'd be considered a u-haul relationship."

Taylor smiled too. "I think I need my own space. And I got accepted into NYU, so I'll be leaving in a couple of months."

"I'm proud of you." Bradley couldn't imagine not having Taylor in her life. In a short time, she'd gotten invested into their friendship. And it was sometimes the best part of her day to come home to her. "College is going to be good for you. Freedom, girls and your independence."

"Yeah." Taylor looked away in thought. "Did my mom call you? We got into a fight and she said she—"

"She actually showed up at my office."

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry." Taylor squeezed her closed eyes. "That's so embarrassing."

"For her. I honestly think that she wants what's best for you. But just like my mother, what they think is best isn't always the right thing."

"Did she bring up me burning in hell?"

"Something like that. She does think that I'm trying to steal you from her."

Taylor sighed. "I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Especially at work."

"It's okay. It's not your fault. I told her you can stay with me for however long you want."

"That must have made her happy." Taylor forced a laugh. But she was sad. Really sad.

"Our mothers are alike. I guess that's why we get along," Bradley said. "You're a good friend, Taylor. I don't know what I'm going to do when you go off to college."

"Is that all I am to you?" Taylor searched for Bradley's eyes. Bradley stood and walked towards the kitchen. She didn't know what to say or if she should even say anything. "Bradley?"

Taylor followed her and cornered her at the counter. "I can't. You're so young and you have so much life ahead of you. You'll forget all about me when you're at college."

"So you're afraid that I'm going to hurt you?"

Bradley's breathing became shaky when Taylor placed her hand against her cheek. "We shouldn't."

"But I want to."

When Taylor's lips touched hers, Bradley felt the thumping of her heart in her ears. But her body relaxed snd she wrapped her hands around Taylor's waist. Taylor's hand squeezed Bradley's shoulder blade, as she pushed Bradley further against the counter.

"This is—" Bradley panted for breath.

"Just enjoy it." Taylor trailed her lips onto Bradley's neck. Bradley placed both of her hands on either side of Taylor's shoulders and pushed her back.

"Are you trying to seduce me?" Bradley looked into Taylor's eyes, wanting nothing more than to take her upstairs and into her bedroom.

"Something like that."

Bradley smiled and placed a tender kiss on Taylor's lips. "I'm not going to sleep with you tonight."

"Why not?" Taylor hooked her arms around Bradley's neck. "Do you have a third date rule or something?"

"It's an at least one date rule. I want you to be sure."

"I am sure," Taylor clarified. "I really like you."

Bradley couldn't stop herself from kissing Taylor again. "I really like you too."