Chapter 05

That night, as I was hanging out in my room, I got a call from Stiles.

"Hey Stiles," I greeted as I answered my phone.

"Hey Y/n. I was just calling to see if you were okay. Today was sort of crazy," he said.

My stomach did a weird little flip at his words, and my heart sped up. He called me just to see if I was okay.

I bit my lip in an attempt to stop the smile spreading across my face, but I failed miraculously.

"Oh, yeah I'm good. I think I handled it okay. Well, with the exception of nearly hitting you with a lacrosse stick," I joked.

I heard Stiles laugh through the phone and felt butterflies in my stomach.

"So, you're sure you're okay?" He asked again.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I said, smiling like an idiot. "I am a bit curious as to how a coyote found it's way into the school though," I added.

The line went silent for a beat before Stiles spoke again. "Me too, but just so you know, we've found the coyote a safe place to live now, so hopefully it won't happen again."

"That's a relief," I told him.

We talked for a few minutes, which ended up turning into a few hours.

We talked about anything and everything. Memories when we were younger and the memories we made when we grew up away from each other.

It was wonderful talking to him, and I didn't want to stop.

I was lying on my bed holding my phone against my ear as Stiles suddenly stopped talking.

"Stiles?" I questioned.

"I'm sorry, I have to go. Scott and I are doing this thing for Coach's birthday tomorrow, which just so happens to be on Mischief night. It's like a big prank that we do each year," he said.

"First off, I think you mean today, since it's 12:01am, and secondly, whatever you do, do not prank me," I warned him.

Stiles laughed.

"Okay, I won't prank you," he said.

"Promise me," I demanded.

"You don't trust me?" Stiles asked mockingly.

"Remember that time we went to the beach and you said you wouldn't splash me and then ended up nearly drowning me?"

"Okay, okay. I promise I won't prank you," he said.

Satisfied, I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"Good," I said. "And good luck with your prank. I hope it goes well."

"Thanks. See you tomorrow," he said.

I sighed, not wanting to say goodbye.

"See you tomorrow."

. . .

I got to school that day with a bundle of nerves in my stomach. It was Mischief day, and I was nervous for what the students had planned. I hoped Stiles would keep his words and not prank me.

I was walking to school from the car park when I noticed Scott and Stiles talking to two twins who were standing in front of two matching motorbikes.

Kira walked up next to me and stopped as well, also looking at Scott and Stiles.

"I wonder who they are," I murmured, not taking my eyes off the twins.

"Me too," Kira said.

We continued walking and walked into the school, where I narrowly avoided getting hit in the face by an egg thrown by a freshman boy laughing with his friends.