Chapter 25

We all turned around in circles, unable to believe our eyes as it gently snowed on us. Where were we? How did we get here? Did we walk through a portal? Snow sprinkled my hair as I looked around, trying to figure out how we could have possibly gotton here. I came up with nothing.

There were footsteps behind us, near silent in the snow, and we turned around to see a man in bandages walk in front of the frost covered doors. It was the same bandaged person that was in Scott's house when Void kidnapped me for the second time, and I realised with a shiver that this was the Nogitsune.

I frowned, instantly noting something was wrong. I didn't feel any desire for this creature whatsoever. This was still the Nogitsune, just in a different form, so I should have still felt attraction towards it, but I didn't. I felt nothing. Why?

As soon as Stiles spotted the Nogitsune, he pushed me further behind him, stumbling a bit in the act. I wrapped my arms around his waist from behind and looked over his shoulder at the Nogitsune, fear pooling in my stomach.

"Like I promised, Stiles," the Nogitsune rasped. "We're going to kill all of them. One by One."

Just as he finished his sentence, Oni appeared, their katanas raised. Kira whipped out her own katana and their weapons let out a loud clang as they met. From the corner of my eye, I spotted an Oni slinking closer behind me and spun around, fire burning in the palm of my hand.

I was ready to fight, and finally make my powers useful. This would not end like last time. No one would die on my watch. No one.

"What the hell is this? Where are we?" Scott asked, his voice betraying none of the emotions he was feeling.

"Between life and death," the Nogitsune answered.

Lydia whispered from behind me, "bardo."

I focused on the Oni standing before me, and the comforting presence of Stiles' back pressed against mine.

"But there are no peaceful deities here, Lydia. None except for the Fire Nymph standing next to you," the Nogitsune said.

I risked a glance behind me at the Nogitsune.

"Right now, I am anything but peaceful," I threatened.

The Nogitsune chuckled, as if I'd said something to amuse him. I scowled.

"You are dying, Stiles," the Nogitsune said.

There were Oni surrounding all of us now, so I turned around. They wouldn't hurt us yet, not until the Nogitsune gave the order. I still kept my eyes trained on the Oni standing behind me, just in case.

"And now everyone you care about is dying too," the Nogitsune finished.

Stiles immediately looked to me and everyone else, panic in his eyes.

"What do you mean?" Stiles asked shakily.

"I've captured almost all the territories on the board, Stiles," the Nogitsune said. "The hospital, the Sheriffs station, and now the animal clinic."

Everyone looked to one another uneasily, worrying for their friends and family. I shifted closer to Stiles.

"Do you know the ritual of seppuku, Stiles?" the Nogitsune asked.

"No," Stiles answered shortly. "And I don't want too."

The Nogitsune continued like Stiles had never spoken.

"When a samurai disembowels himself with his own sword to maintain his honour, but that is not the cut that kills him," he said. "The killing stroke is made by his Kaishakunin, who beheads the samurai with his own katana."