Chapter 2

Eric: And the same applies to me, I suppose? 

Inspector: Yes. 

Gerald: I can't imagine what it could be. 

Eric: Neither can I. 

Birling: And I must say, I agree with them, Inspector. 

Inspector: It's the way I like to go to work. One person and one line ofinquiry at a time. Otherwise, there's a muddle. 

Birling: I see. Sensible really. (moves restlessly, then turns.) you've hadenough of that port, Eric.

 // the Inspector is watching Birling and now Birling notices him.// 

Inspector: I think you remember Eva Smith now don't you. Mr Birling? 

Birling: Yes, I do. She was one of my employees and then I discharged her. 

Eric: Is that why she committed suicide? When was this, father? 

Birling: Just keep quiet, Eric, and don't get excited. This girl left us nearlytwo years ago. Let me see – it must have been in the early autumn of nineteen-ten. 

Inspector: Yes. End of September, nineteen-ten. 

Birling: That's right. 

Gerald: Look here, Sir. Wouldn't you rather I was out of this? 

Birling: I don't mind your being here, Gerald. And I'm sure you've noobjection, have you, Inspector? Perhaps I ought to explain first that this is MrGerald Croft – the son of Sir George Croft – you know, Crofts limited.  

Inspector: Mr Gerald Croft, eh? 

Birling: Yes. Incidentally we've been modestly celebrating his engagementto my daughter, Sheila as well as Eric's engagement to a girl named Y/N L/N daughter of Sir F/N L/N. 

Inspector: I see. Mr Croft is going to marry miss Sheila Birling? 

Gerald: (smiling) I hope so. 

Inspector: (gravely) Then I'd prefer you to stay. 

Gerald: (surprised) Oh – all right. 

Birling: (somewhat impatiently) Look – there's nothing mysterious – orscandalous – about this business – at least not so far as I'm concerned. It'sperfectly straightforward case, and as it happened more than eighteen monthsago – nearly two years ago – obviously it has nothing whatever to do with thewretched girl's suicide. Eh, Inspector? 

Inspector: No, Sir. I can't agree with you there. 

Birling: Why not? 

Inspector: Because what happened to her then may have determined whathappened to her afterwards, and what happened to her afterwards may havedriven her to suicide. A chain of events. 

Birling: Oh well – put like that, there's something in what you say. Still, Ican't accept any responsibility. If we were all responsible for everything thathappened to everybody we'd had anything to do with, it would be very awkward,wouldn't it? 

Inspector: Very awkward. 

Birling: We'd all be in an impossible position, wouldn't we? 

Eric: By jove, yes. And as you were saying, Dad, a man has to look afterhimself- 

Birling: Yes, well, we needn't go into all that. 

Inspector: Go into what? 

Birling: Oh – just before you came – I'd been giving these young men a littlegood advice. Now – about this girl, Eva Smith. I remember her quite well now. Shewas a lively good-looking girl – country-bred, I fancy – and she'd been working inone of our machine shops for over a year. A good worker too. In fact, the foremanthere told me he was ready to promote her into what we call a leading operator– head of a small group of girls. But after they came back from their holidaysthat august, they were all rather restless, and they suddenly decided to ask formore money. They were averaging about twenty-two and six, which was neithermore nor less than is paid generally in our industry. They wanted the rates raisedso that they could average about twenty-five shillings a week. I refused, ofcourse. 

Inspector: Why? 

Birling: (surprised) Did you say 'why?'? 

Inspector: Yes. Why did you refuse? 

Birling: Well, Inspector, I don't see that it's any concern of yours how Ichoose to run my business. Is it now? 

Inspector: It might be, you know. 

Birling: I don't like that tone. 

Inspector: I'm sorry. But you asked me a question. 

Birling: And you asked me a question before that, a quite unnecessaryquestion too. 

Inspector: It's my duty to ask questions. 

Birling: Well it's my duty to keep labour costs down. And if I'd agreed to19this demand for a new rate we'd have added about twelve per cent to our labourcosts. Does that satisfy you? So I refused. Said I couldn't consider it. We werepaying the usual rates and if they didn't like those rates, they could go and worksomewhere else. It's a free country, I told them. 

Eric: It isn't if you can't go and work somewhere else. 

Inspector: Quite so. 

Birling: (to Eric) Look – just you keep out of this. You hadn't even startedin the works when this happened. So they went on strike. That didn't last long,of course. 

Gerald: Not if it was just after the holidays. They'd be all broke – if I knowthem. 

Birling: Right, Gerald. They mostly were. And so was the strike, after aweek or two. Pitiful affair. Well, we let them all come back – at the old rates –except the four or five ring-leaders, who'd started the trouble. I went downmyself and told them to clear out. And this girl. Eva Smith, was one of them,she'd had a lot to say – far too much – so she had to go. 

Gerald: You couldn't have done anything else. 

Eric: He could. He could have kept her on instead of throwing her out. I callit tough luck. 

Birling: Rubbish! If you don't come down sharply on some of these people,they'd soon be asking for the earth. 

Gerald: I should say so! 

Inspector: They might. But after all it's better to ask for the earth thanto take it. 

Birling: (staring at the Inspector) What did you say your name was,Inspector? 

Inspector: Goole. G. double O-L-E. 

Birling: How do you get on with our chief constable, Colonel Roberts? 

Inspector: I don't see much of him. 

Birling: Perhaps I ought to warn you that he's an old friend of mine, andthat I see him fairly frequently. We play golf together sometimes up at the westBrumley. 

Inspector: (dryly) I don't play golf. 

Birling: I didn't suppose you did. 

Eric: (bursting out) Well, I think it's a dam' shame. 

Inspector: No, I've never wanted to play. 

Eric: No, I mean about this girl – Eva Smith. Why shouldn't they try forhigher wages? We try for the highest possible prices. And I don't see why sheshould have been sacked just because she'd a bit more spirit than the others.You said yourself she was a good worker. I'd have let her stay. 

Birling: (rather angrily) Unless you brighten your ideas, you'll never be in aposition to let anybody stay or to tell anybody to go. It's about time you learntto face a few responsibilities you're going to be married soon for heavens sake. That's something this public-school-and-varsitylife you've had doesn't seem to teach you. 

Eric: (sulkily) Well, we don't need to tell the Inspector all about that, dowe? 

Birling: I don't see we need to tell the Inspector anything more. In fact,there's nothing I can tell him. I told the girl to clear out, and she went. That'sthe last I heard of her. Have you any idea what happened to her after that? Getinto trouble? Go on the streets? 

Inspector: (rather slowly) No, she didn't exactly go on the streets.