Chapter 3

//Sheila and Y/N have now entered// 

Sheila: (gaily) What's this about streets? (noticing the Inspector.) Oh –sorry. I didn't know. Mummy sent me in to ask you why you didn't come along tothe drawing-room. 

Y/N: Yeah, sorry for interutpting anything important.

Birling: We shall be along in a minute now. Just finishing. 

Inspector: I'm afraid not. 

Birling: (abruptly) There's nothing else, y'know. I've just told you that. 

Sheila: What's all this about? 

Birling: Nothing to do with either of you, Sheila, Y/N. Run along. 

Inspector: No, wait a minute, Miss Birling and Miss L/N. 

Birling: (angrily) Look here, Inspector, I consider this uncalled-for andofficious. I've half a mind to report you. I've told you all I know – and it doesn'tseem to me very important – and now there isn't the slightest reason why mydaughter nor daughter-in-law should be dragged into this unpleasant business. 

Sheila: (coming father in) What business? What's happening? 

Y/N: (at the same time as Sheila) What's happening?

Inspector: (impressively) I'm a police Inspector, miss Birling, miss L/N. Thisafternoon a young woman drank some disinfectant, and died, after several hoursof agony, tonight in the infirmary. 

Y/N: Oh how terrible!

Sheila: Oh – how horrible! Was it an accident? 

Inspector: No. she wanted to end her life. She felt she couldn't go on anylonger. 

Birling: Well, don't tell me that's because I discharged her from myemployment nearly two years ago. 

Eric: That might have started it. 

Sheila: Did you, Dad? 

Birling: Yes. 

Y/N: Why?

Birling:The girl had been causing trouble in the works. I was quitejustified. 

Gerald: Yes, I think you were. I know we'd have done the same thing. Don'tlook like that Sheila. 

Sheila: (rather distressed) Sorry! It's just that I can't help thinking aboutthis girl – destroying herself so horribly – and I've been so happy tonight. Oh Iwish you hadn't told me. What was she like? Quite young? 

Inspector: Yes. Twenty-four. 

Y/N: Pretty? 

Inspector: She wasn't pretty when I saw her today, but she had beenpretty – very pretty. 

Birling: That's enough of that. 

Gerald: And I don't really see that this inquiry gets you anywhere,Inspector. It's what happened to her since she left Mr Birling's works that isimportant. 

Birling: Obviously. I suggested that some time ago. 

Gerald: And we can't help you there because we don't know. 

Inspector: (slowly) Are you sure you don't know. 

// He looks at Gerald, then at Eric, then at Sheila and Y/N.// 

Birling: And are you suggesting now that one of them knows something aboutthis girl? 

Inspector: Yes. 

Birling: You didn't come here just to see me, then? 

Inspector: No. 

// the other five exchange bewildered and perturbed glances.//