Chapter 4

Inspector: Where is your father, Miss Birling? 

Sheila: He went into the drawing room, to tell mother what was happeninghere. Eric, take the Inspector along with Y/N to the drawing-room. 

// As Eric moves, the Inspector looks from Sheila to Gerald, then goes outwith Eric and Y/N.//

Well, Gerald? 

Gerald: (trying to smile) Well what, Sheila? 

Sheila: How did you come to know this girl – Eva Smith? 

Gerald: I didn't. 

Sheila: Daisy renton then – it's the same thing. 

Gerald: Why should I have to known her? 

Sheila: Oh don't be stupid. We haven't much time. You gave yourself awayas soon as he mentioned her other name. 

Gerald: All right. I knew her. Let's leave it at that. 

Sheila: We can't leave it at that. 

Gerald: (approaching her) Now listen, darling-- 

Sheila: no, that's no use. You not only knew her but you knew her very well.Otherwise, you wouldn't look so guilty about it. When did you first get to knowher? (he does not reply) Was it after she left Milwards? When she changed hername, as he said, and began to lead a different sort of life? Were you seeing herlast spring and summer, during that time you hardly came near me and said youwere so busy? Were you? (he does not reply but looks at her.) Yes, of course youwere.  

Gerald: I'm sorry, Sheila. But it was all over and done with, last summer. Ihadn't set eyes on the girl for at least six months. I don't come into this suicidebusiness. 

Sheila: I thought I didn't half an hour ago. 

Gerald: You don't. Neither of us does. So – for God's sake – don't sayanything to the Inspector. 

Sheila: About you and this girl? 

Gerald: Yes. We can keep it from him. 

Sheila: (laughs rather hysterically) why – you fool – he knows. Of course heknows. And I hate to think how much he knows that we don't know yet. You'll see.You'll see. 

// she looks at him almost in triumph. He looks crushed. The doors slowlyopens and the Inspector appears, looking steadily and searchingly at them.// 

Inspector: Well? 

//The Inspector remains at the door for a few moments looking at Sheila andGerald. Then he comes forward, leaving door open behind him.// 

Inspector: (To Gerald) Well? 

Sheila: (with hysterical laugh, to Gerald) You see? What did I tell you?Inspector What did you tell him? 

Gerald: (with an effort) Inspector, I think Miss Birling ought to beexcused any more of this questioning. She'd nothing more to tell you. She's hada long exciting and tiring day – we were celebrating our engagement, you know –and now she's obviously had about as much as she can stand. You heard her. 

Sheila: He means that I'm getting hysterical now. 

Inspector: And are you? 

Sheila: probably. 

Inspector: well, I don't want to keep you here. I've no more questions toask you. 

Sheila: no, but you haven't finished asking questions – have you? 

Inspector: No. 

Sheila: (to Gerald) You see? (to Inspector.) then I'm staying. 

Gerald: Why should you? It's bound to be unpleasant and disturbing. 

Inspector: and you think young women ought to be protected againstunpleasant and disturbing things?  

Gerald: if possible – yes. 

Inspector: well, we know one young woman who wasn't, don't we? 

Gerald: I suppose I asked for that. 

Sheila: be careful you don't ask for more, Gerald. 

Gerald: I only ment to say to you – why stay when you'll hate it? 

Sheila: It can't be any worse for me than it has been. And it might bebetter. 

Gerald: (bitterly) I see. 

Sheila: what do you see? 

Gerald: You've been through it – and now you want to see somebody elseput through it. 

Sheila: (bitterly) so that's what you think I'm like. I'm glad I realized it intime, Gerald. 

Gerald: no, no, I didn't mean - 

Sheila: (cutting in) Yes, you did. And if you'd really loved me, you couldn'thave said that. You listened to that nice story about me. I got that girl sackedfrom Milwards. And now you've made up your mind I must obviously be a selfish,vindictive creature. 

Gerald: I neither said that nor even suggested it. 

Sheila: Then why say I want to see somebody else put through it? That'snot what I mean at all. 

Gerald: All right then, I'm sorry. 

Sheila: Yes, but you don't believe me. And this is just the wrong time not  to believe me. 

Inspector: (massively taking charge) allow me, Miss Birling. (to Gerald.) Ican tell you why Miss Birling wants to stay on and why she says it might bebetter for her if she did. A girl died tonight. A pretty, lively sort of girl, whonever did anybody any harm. But she died in misery and agony – hating life – 

Sheila: (Distressed) don't please – I know, I know – and I can't stopthinking about it, In all honesty i should still apologise to Y/N about that day – 

Inspector: (Ignoring this) now Miss Birling has just been made tounderstand what she did to this girl. She feels responsible. And if she leaves usnow, and doesn't hear any more, then she'll feel she's entirely to blame, she'llbe alone with her responsibility, the rest of tonight, all tomorrow, all the nextnight-- 

Sheila: (eagerly) Yes, that's it. And I know I'm to blame – and I'mdesperately sorry – but I can't believe – I won't believe – it's simply my faultthat in that in the end she – she committed suicide. That would be too horrible– 

Inspector: (sternly to them both) You see, we have to share something. Ifthere's nothing else, we'll have to share our guilt. 

Sheila: (staring at him) yes. That's true. You know. (she goes close to him,wonderingly.) I don't understand about you. 

Inspector: (calmly) there's no reason why you should. 

// he regards her calmly while she stares at him wonderingly anddubiously. Now Mrs Birling. Enters, briskly and self-confidently, quite out ofkey with the little scene that has just passed. Sheila feels this at once.//